Top 10: the best cars in Britain? - Dog
(Snip: A disguised link to a competing site. If you want you can give the list and quote the source but don't set up a link.)

Edited by Honestjohn on 04/09/2008 at 18:28

Top 10: the best cars in Britain? - jase1
A rather predictable list.

I'm sorry but the day a Corsa becomes the nearest you can get to small-car Nirvana is the day you hand me the Nembutal and I sort myself out.
Top 10: the best cars in Britain? - Pugugly
Glad to see that the Roomster doesn;t feature
Top 10: the best cars in Britain? - tinkerbell
No the Skoda Roomster doesn't feature in this list. But then neither does the BMW 1 series or the Porsche Cayenne or many other cars that are just as ugly or even more ugly. By the way why is your name pugugly? I don't like your badge snobbish comments about the Roomster.
After 25 years of driving the Ultimate Driving Machine, including my beloved BMW535d- which in all likelihood is/was one of the best cars ever to grace any road - certainly the best diesel. I sold it and bought a er...Roomster, I am now a total Skoda badge snob having covered nearly 15000 miles in it in 12 months.The type of education I got promoted self-deprecation and also was the source of my nickname. As I actually referred to then ugly cars ( mainly French as it happens) of being "Pugugly." The Roomie is a Marmite car - I happen to like it. No need to be so confrontational !

Edited by Pugugly on 05/09/2008 at 00:26

Top 10: the best cars in Britain? - Dog
I must be getting past it ... I'd never heard of a Roomster before - "Like a Berlingo" but, unlike a Berlingo! pity the diesels are belt cam.

Dog.
Top 10: the best cars in Britain? - Avant
I seriously doubt the value of lists like this. There are just too many issues that are (rightly) subjective, such that 'good' and 'bad' are pretty meaningless except in extreme cases (if every single road test says that a Proton is poor to drive, then it almost certainly is).

But to take two examples from that list:

- I've tried hard to like the 320d over several long test drives, and I just couldn't come to terms with the gearchange and the driving position. But it suits lots of others, and their view is just as good as mine.

- Every road test of the 1.4 Corsa, although finding lots to praise and usually making it the winner of a group test, says that performance is sluggish. Sorry, but for me part of the raison d'etre of a small car is that it should be nippy. That's why, again personally, I'd put the 1.3 Yaris in front of both Corsa and Jazz.

Probably the only lists that make sense are the owner surveys such as J.D. Power and Auto Express, as they ask questions about most aspects of a car, including of course reliability.

Top 10: the best cars in Britain? - nick62
Referring to the Audi R8........"At under £80,000, it is frankly a bargain for what it is as well. "

I'm sure most of the population agree!!!!

Edited by nick62 on 01/09/2008 at 22:22

Top 10: the best cars in Britain? - boxsterboy
How on earth can the BMW X-6 be the best SUV.

It has the worst points of a 4x4 with the worst points of a coupe, with the benefits of neither!
Boxster - did you see the Fifth Gear test drive ???? Wicked car that, not that I'd buy one, nor an X3 or X5 for that matter - but that's a matter of personal taste !
Top 10: the best cars in Britain? - Ben 10
I wouldn't have a FIAT even if they were giving it away free.
Top 10: the best cars in Britain? - Alanovich
I wouldn't have a FIAT even if they were giving it away free.

I feel the same about BMWs and other "prestige" brands.

Yours,
A 5-time (very satisfied) FIAT owner
Top 10: the best cars in Britain? - Ben 10
One of the few then ;-)
Top 10: the best cars in Britain? - madf
Fiats
Round here there is a waiting list : to give them away free.

Only trouble is: no punters want them.

:-)

Our local Fiat dealer makes Michael Mouse look organised.
Top 10: the best cars in Britain? - oldtoffee
>>By the way why is your name pugugly? I don't like your badge snobbish comments about the Roomster.

LOL!!! I believe PU has a Roomster and like many of us here isn't swayed one jot by badge snobbery.

Top 10: the best cars in Britain? - barney100
If they are giing Fiats away can I have one please, I like the new 500 and it would make a good car fo work.