Black smoke under power, some do, some don't. - gordonbennet
We've all been quite amazed at the huge quantities of black smoke produced by many of the newer turbo diesels whilst under full power, i'm not talking old high mileage vehicles either.

I shall not name the makes, but 2 spring to mind as being very bad for this.

I was behind a new Landcruiser Amazon V8 twin turbo diesel today, he took off at an astonishing rate and continued under strong acceleration up to about 80 or so, what was really noticeable was a complete absence of even a trace of black smoke or any exhaust trace at all, very fast acceleration too.

I followed SWMBO home the other day, and the hilux diesel (3.0d4d) is exactly the same, not a trace of any smoke even under full power kickdown, i put ours down to the millers..;)

Neither of these vehicles is lacking in torque, so its not that the engines are being starved of fuel, why can some makers diesels run clean and others not?
Black smoke under power, some do, some don't. - Bromptonaut
May depend on how often full power is used?

If car is generally driven sedately and in urban stop/start gunk collects in the exhaust but then gets blown out on the odd occasion a firm right foot is applied. My 110 HDi Xantia shows this to perfection.

Perhaps the Toyotas are regularly driven hard (or do they have DPF systems)?

Edited by Bromptonaut on 29/08/2008 at 22:48

Black smoke under power, some do, some don't. - rtj70
My Mondeo had a problem with the EGR valve which resulted in lots of smoke. New EGR and no smoke.

But Bromptonaut might be right about DPF - it stores the particles before burning off later at high temp so no smoke. Or limp home mode due to a DPF problem.
Black smoke under power, some do, some don't. - FotheringtonThomas
DPF systems

I need a holiday. IRTA "PFD systems".
Black smoke under power, some do, some don't. - MikeTorque
Black smoke can result from mixing different brands of fuel. The additives are effectively weakened and this causes inconsistent combustion which contributes to black smoke.

In addition a poorly maintained vehicle will produce additional black smoke.

A diesel engine with a DPF should not produce black smoke.

Some makes are noticably worse than others, even when new, but they will have to gets their acts sorted out when Euro V regs are implemented.
Black smoke under power, some do, some don't. - FotheringtonThomas
Black smoke can result from mixing different brands of fuel. The additives are
effectively weakened and this causes inconsistent combustion which contributes
to black smoke.

What can it be, I wonder, that BP use, which is "incompatible" with what Shell use, or Esso, for instance? What do Texaco, or Jet, or Tesco use which "conflict" with whatever is used in other brands of fuel? What happens if I add a dash of Millers power whatsit to the fuels, then mix them? So many questions. So many opinions. What evidence?
Black smoke under power, some do, some don't. - David Horn
After my dad had his Rover 75 chipped it produced quite an impressive cloud of black cack under heavy acceleration. A subsequent software update solved the problem but reduced the power slightly, leading me to suspect that it was simply overfueling.

My XUD Xsara used to be great for storing up gunk in the exhaust, I used to wait until someone in a posh car tailgated me before dropping a cog and flooring it. If I got two or three weeks between full throttle blasts the smokescreen of soot was marvellous, particularly if it was a new and polished car with bonus points for convertibles.
Black smoke under power, some do, some don't. - bimmer-driver
My 2007 Seat Ibiza tdi smoked like a trooper from the day I bought it new. I just think its a trait of the PD engines. Ford TDCis seem to be like them too.
Black smoke under power, some do, some don't. - Bromptonaut
My XUD Xsara used to be great for storing up gunk in the exhaust ........

The NSL sign in the lane on the way home is a great point for giving the "squid ink" treatment to cars that tailgate through the previous village's 30 limit.
Black smoke under power, some do, some don't. - Brian Tryzers
VW and Ford diesels seem to be regular smokers, even in Audis that don't appear to get a lot of sedate driving. Conversely, I've never noticed smoke from my Volvo D5, nor from any other big Volvo diesel. Our other diesel is a Toyota, but we've not had it long enough to notice its smoking habits.
Black smoke under power, some do, some don't. - ifithelps
My Focus Tdci smoked now and again when given the full welly.

Hasn't done it since I started using Millers.
Black smoke under power, some do, some don't. - Chips with everything
If I use regular Shell/BP fuel then my 530d produces a puff of smoke on the first blast of the day.

Shell VP Power and BP Ultimate don't however, although this seems contrary to other peoples experiences.

Black smoke under power, some do, some don't. - ifithelps
Shell VP Power and BP Ultimate don't however although this seems contrary to other peoples experiences.>>

Makes sense to me, I reckon ordinary diesel plus Millers is about the same as super diesel.
Black smoke under power, some do, some don't. - Alby Back
I never saw smoke from my diesels when we lived in a rural location. Average speeds were higher and I suppose they never got so crudded up. Now that we live in an area of slower moving traffic they do seem to smoke a bit under acceleration unless they have recently had a bit of a run. Even highish speeds at low revs ie when cruising in top seems to clog them up. Working up and down the gearbox to keep the turbo on song such as on fast twisty "A" roads seems to keep them cleaner but of course has the penalty of increased fuel usage.

I have had a string of diesels for economy reasons for years but I do prefer petrol engines. Can't help it. Maybe I'm a dinosaur.
Black smoke under power, some do, some don't. - craig-pd130

Soot levels are inconsistent, oddly just earlier today I was following a newish Merc E320 CDI, he booted it and the soot plume from each exhaust was indeed impressive.

My old Passat used to soot occasionally, despite my best efforts to keep it soot-free :¬)
Black smoke under power, some do, some don't. - Westpig
wife's X Type est (2 litre Ford diesel) used to do it, didn't concern me, but when friends following us through Scottish Highlands complained about it and said it was bad, took it back to main dealer under warranty.

I think they said it was a failed pipe to EGR valve (or something similar). Whatever they did they cured it, we don't get any smoke now.