Approved BMW - ian
I've bought one (98R 528 Auto)! and I'm generally very pleased with it. However I noticed the tyres which look brand new fitted by the dealer have a V speed rating whereas the handbook states W rating for the 528 model. Is it being extremely fussy to ask the dealer to change them to the correct rating?

Also what happens in auto gearboxes when the car is in drive and I have my foot on the brake (say at a junction), if I can see I won't move off again within 5 secs or so I tend to shift to neutral, is this unneccessary.

p.s the dealer "volunteered" to do the infamous nickasil engine change before purchase so I have a new block, pistons and crankshaft, I understand BM are now looking to walk away from this problem. plus the car was given an extra years BMW warranty
. All in all the deal I got if you value the warranty at say £500 pa compares exceptionally well with the equivalent car from a place like the GTC (within £700).
Approved BMW - Ian (Cape Town)
Also what happens in auto gearboxes when the car is in
drive and I have my foot on the brake (say at
a junction), if I can see I won't move off again
within 5 secs or so I tend to shift to
neutral, is this unneccessary.

I find it is better to simply use the handbrake - stops the driver behind getting blinded by your brakelights.
The thinking in the backroom seemed to be keep your foot on the brake until the guy behind stops, then engage handbrake.

I try not to shift out of D to N too much - seems to negate the value of an autobox!
The only time I'll do so is if there is a guaranteed long wait - ie very heavy traffic/accident.
Approved BMW - CM
I noticed the tyres which look brand
new fitted by the dealer have a V speed rating whereas
the handbook states W rating for the 528 model. Is
it being extremely fussy to ask the dealer to change them
to the correct rating?

IIRC having improper speed rated tyres is illegal (fail MOT, possible insurance problems if you have a blow-out etc..) and you should definitely ask the dealer to sell you a road worthy car.

(Also I always make sure that the spare wheel is a similar alloy to the other 4 - amazing the number of times that the spare is a steel one).
Approved BMW - duvboy
PARDON MY FRENCH - [ No. Mark]
[snip]

THATS THE KIND OF THING SALESMEN SAY TO MAKE U FIT A FULL SET NEW TYRES

THE LAW STATES THAT TYRES ON CARS LIGHT GOODS VEHICLES MUST BE SUITABLE FOR THE GENERAL USE OF THE VEHICLE, IN THE UK THE SPEED LIMIT IS 70 MPH A V-RATED TYRE IS CAPABLE OF NEARLY 150 MPH - IT WILL NOT FAIL AN MOT UNLESS IT IS A CLASS 4 OR HIGHER VAN/TRUCK

AS FOR INSURANCE I HAVE BEEN SELLING TYRES FOR 20 YEARS AND I HAVE NEVER HEARD OF ANYONE GETTING A CLAIM REFUSED FOR HAVING A LOW SPEED RATING.
Approved BMW - Mark (RLBS)
1) No swearing
2) Please type in varied case (not all capitals) since otherwise it is construed as shouting.

3) I have seen insurers take people to court to recover their losses after needing to pay out for a Motorway TPI claim from a Jag with a blown tyre - it was a "not-recommended" speed rating and despite the fact that the car was not travelling at a speed in excess of its limit, it was deemed that it might have been on a previous occasion causing it to fail this time.

Whilst not seen as wholly as fault the guy got stuck with a 25% contribution. Which, IIRC, was around 10,000 quid quite a few years ago.

I have to assume that high-speed tyres are not recommended just for the fun of it.
speed rating - duvboy
If this is the case - please go to any tyre dealer and have a look at their remould stock - i would guess about 90% will be P or Q rated (about 99mph) - not may cars come on this rating do they????? - Does this mean they cant fit them??

also have a look at any major brands M+S/winter tyres not many of these will measure up (usually go to about h-rated).
Put them on your beamer will it fail an MOT??
speed rating - Mark (RLBS)
>Put them on your beamer will it fail an MOT??

I don't have the faintest idea. I was talking about insurance possibilities. An MOT has little bearing on insurance one way or the other.

M.
Approved BMW - John S
ian

Interestingly, my neighbours 328 is sitting on VR tyres, but the handbook states WR, so this ocould be a common mod to save money. However, as has been said this could be a bit tricky if your insurance company decides to be difficult.

Regards

John S
Approved BMW - ian
Quite, a 328 and 528 can both run to near the maximum of a v rated tyre, not good surely. I'm not in the habit of cruising at over 140mph but equally it is a rating to have appropriate stiffness to put down the power output of a car capable of that speed rating. I'm sure the car is not dangerous on v rated tyres but at the same time if the bmw dealer doesn't know his product well enough why should I put with it, the original spare is a conti eco rated at W surprise surprise, so I have non matching spare!

Any thoughts on how long to stay in drive when stopped in traffic etc. I feel like I'm holding the car against the brakes and it feels like slipping a clutch in a manual! old habits die hard.
Approved BMW - Keith S
The most interesting fact is that the dealer fitted these tyres.

I might expect it if they were on the car when the dealer bought it.

But a BMW dealer should have more sense.

Whether they are required for MOT/Insurance is a seperate matter. If you bought the car from, effectively BMW, (you could blag that point) who make such a recommendation, they should stick to it.

I bet they will be a bit surprised that you have noticed this detail.

Let us know how much hassle you have getting them to swap them.

Is tyre inspection part of a service. Presumably this was done when you bought the car.
Approved BMW - jud
There is nothing wrong with the V rated tyres, even in Europe i cant see your car topping 150mph. I have v rated tyres fitted to my Quattro, i think you should heed what the tyre fitter was trying to get across before your go banging on the dealers door.