94 2.0 petrol - Clutch Problem - Maceman
Hi all,

Clutch cable on my Espace snapped last week. I replaced it and have struggled a bit to get the adjustment just right, but is now reasonable.

Since replacing I'm getting strange noises and things just don't feel quite right:

- On starting the engine there is a single thump/knock when it actually starts
- First and second gear are noisy, juddery and feels like slipping
- Increased vibration at high speed

Could this be simply not having the cable adjusted properly, or is it more likely that damage has occured to the clutch/transmission when the cable broke? Or maybe the cable breaking was a sympton of something else?

Any help very much appreciated.

maceman

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 27/08/2008 at 11:08

94 2.0 petrol - Clutch Problem - Maceman
Anyone??
94 2.0 petrol - Clutch Problem - mhi
My Espace has eaten three clutch cables in eight years, and I think I found out why last week. Use what follows if it seems useful to you...

The original factory fitted cable was the right length to run in a neat curve from pedal to bell-housing. Renault's (expensive) replacement cable kit is a foot or so longer, probably so that they can stock the same part for both left-hand drive and right-hand drive models. When my -- otherwise excellent -- local garage fitted the new cable, and the next two, it got a sharper curve than it should have had, right near the bell-housing and the heat of the exhaust manifold. Result: rough clutch operation and short cable life.

Last week I gave up on paying the professionals to fit clutch cables and fitted a fourth cable myself. It's like having a new car! The secret seems to be to route the cable so that the engine end runs almost straight upward, next to the interior heater pipes, then take the excess length just behind the windscreen wiper motor bracket for a much smoother shape back to the bulkhead where it fits the pedal. Not only is the tightest bend in the cable now a far larger radius than before, it's also in the middle rather than near either end, and the cable is further away from the heat of the exhaust system.

The other thing I tried and which may have helped a tiny bit is to grease all the pivots, swivels and fittings at each end of the new cable. In particular, the little stirrup thing where the cable hooks on to the clutch actuating lever. This helped on the previous, mis-routed, cable in reducing a clicky, jerky feel to the pedal.

I found I couldn't slacken off the new cable enough to hook it in place easily. In the end I raised the operating lever by attaching two adjustable spanners and an extension handle. Fiddly to set up, but it worked a treat.

I shall be watching the 12-month guarantee on the new cable very carefully. At 95 pounds a time it is not a part I want to buy again.
94 2.0 petrol - Clutch Problem - Pugugly
I've e-mailed the OP in view of the time lapse.
94 2.0 petrol - Clutch Problem - luke day

hi how long did this take you to fit roughly, and was it a very hard job, do you need any prfessonal tools like a ramp or can it be done from jacking up the car. and how much and were did you purchase your cluch cable if thats all it is from as im sure mine is about to go struggle to get it in gear and very slacky cable at engin end.

kind regards luke