1999 1.4 ECU Advice - Lawrenma2
Hi,

Recently bought a Rover 400, and the head gasket went a week later. It's in being fixed just now but mechanic called me to say there's a problem with a switch related to the ECU which means a fan is not being triggered, so he's going to fit a new switch and hopes this will resolve it.

He mentioned if this did not resolve it, I should constantly keep the blower on at setting 1, and constantly have the air con switched on. I told him that the blower didn't work on settings 1 & 2 anyway, and he said that's even better as I won't have to suffer hot or cold air but leaving at setting 1 will still be triggered enough to power the fan constantly.

Never heard of this before, and wondered if this is a practical option? Also, will it cause a severe rise in fuel consumption? Just concerned as total bill is £450 as it is (maybe not too bad considering he's fitting new timing belt, doing a service, and fitting new head gasket).

Thanks in advance

Edited by Lawrenma2 on 27/08/2008 at 10:20

1999 1.4 ECU Advice - Screwloose

Running the air-con keeps the condenser blower running and will provide a bit of cooling for the radiator too. As an emergency option - maybe. As a permanent fix - Hmmm.

If the coolant blower isn't working; then that's probably why the HG failed - not that they need much encouragement.

Frankly; if you can find a buyer - sell it. Rovers just aren't worth all the grief anymore.
1999 1.4 ECU Advice - bbroomlea{P}
The fan not working is a common problem, there is a resistor behind the glovebox that is easily changed to fix this - I belive one from a similar shaped Honda would fit as well if your getting one from a dealer.

As for the rest - I wouldnt trust the mechanic doing a headgasket if he doesnt know how to get the fan working. It will either be the coolant temp sensor (I think it is the yellow one) that plugs in the fan and near the coolant pipe (next to the exhaust manifold) or it is more likely the fuse that has blown (check both - one in the car and the other in the engine bay). Your handbook will show you where they are. Both are a cheap and quick fix.