Driving Instructor wages - Miller
We have all seen the "Earn up to 30000 per year" adverts on TV and in the papers.

I was doing some rough sums and came to the conclusion you would have to work 60 hours a week to earn that, taking into account fuel, car maintenance, franchise cost etc.

Bear in mind a 10 hour day as an instructor would only allow time for perhaps 8 lessons max when taking into account travelling time between pupils, lunch break etc.

Any DI's on here like to comment?
Driving Instructor wages - jase1
I'd be surprised if you even earned that working 60 hour weeks.

Gallon of fuel an hour, wear-and-tear on the car, probably about £7-8 an hour.

Non-franchise instructors only charge around £18 an hour, and you'll be spending half an hour between lessons.

("Red Driving School" isn't the kind of franchise name that allows instructors to charge more!)

What, about £8-9 an hour on average?

Edited by jase1 on 26/08/2008 at 21:18

Driving Instructor wages - Cymrogwyllt
I looked into this a year or so ago. The company wanted 3k for the training and the 'guaranteed job' involved them taking about 25 hours' (before tax etc) wrok per week to lease the car. Fuel, of course was extra. Given dead time between appts it's probably closer to 35 hours. That is, of course if sufficient wrok was forthcoming. No local adverts seen. Any actual income would come from 'extra time'. A nice little earner for them on the back of someone wroking many hours. The word that come to mind was 'CON'
Driving Instructor wages - daveyjp
You can turnover £30,000 a year with a 'normal' 40 hour week - 30 hours or so lessons per week plus getting to appointments, organising diary etc at £20 an hour.

If you want to earn £30,000 a year (especially down the franchise route where they get a few hundred quid a month off you) teaching hours need to double - very hard work.

My dad has had periods a few years ago of doing 50-60 lessons a week and 12 hour days (especially in summer) were not unusual, he's down to about 30 a week now as he approaches retirement.

He has done alright, but the family mortgage was paid off soon after he started (only £16 a month mind!) nearly 25 years ago, I left to go to Uni just after he started and received a grant so family didn't need to support me and my sister was into full employment at 18, so outgoings were modest.

With a mortgage and family to support there are better ways to earn a wage.

Edited by daveyjp on 26/08/2008 at 21:39