Mitsbishi Colt 1.1 or 1.3 - mattbod
My friends on here may have noticed that I have been sleuthing for a little run around for some friends as I am supposed to be the car nut. I always like to do my research and hence I up a thread up on the Jazz. The Colt was mentioned as a great little car but is it true that the 1.1 3 pot feels quicker than the 1.3 4 cylinder? The latter has 20 bhp more and the figures are quite marked. I like 3 pots as they have chracter but I put a post on three cylinder motors and the general consensus was that three pot engines tend to be knackered bu 60K. Advice and experience welcome. I gather that the 1.5 Diesel is a three banger as well but I personally wouldn't want to recommend a small car with common rail.
Mitsbishi Colt 1.1 or 1.3 - Bill Payer
Can't really say much other than that we have a 1.1 on our family fleet and it seems fine, but it's only really used around town, doing about 6K/yr.
Never driven a 1.3 but I've read the 1.1 seems better.

Not sure I'd like to take a Colt up to 60K - it doesn't have anything like the solidity the Jazz has, although ours is 5dr - the 3dr, I would imagine, feels a bit better.

Edited by Bill Payer on 26/08/2008 at 20:53

Mitsbishi Colt 1.1 or 1.3 - maz64
SWMBO decided on a 3dr Colt to replace her 1.0 mk1 Yaris (which I also drove). Like you I read the 1.1 was the engine to go for, but went for a drive in the local dealer's demonstrator, and thought it was awful, compared to the Yaris and other small cars I've driven.

So tried the 1.3, and was pleasantly surprised. But expensive new, so found a 1 year old one for £6k with <10k miles at Trade Sales and bought it.

Have had it for a few months now, and very happy with it, mainly because of the engine which pulls well at low revs and gives the car quite a decent turn of speed. Admittedly not the most refined engine, but I wouldn't say it's bad - I would compare it with the 2.0 in our Y reg Focus estate, which is no ball of fire or paragon of refinement, but is easy and pleasurable to hustle along without fuss.

Interior ok, ventialtion and air con very good, visibility through funny pillars could be better, feels well planted on the motorway (better than Yaris).

I would certainly recommend having a drive in both - the 1.1 I tried might have been below par, although I did ask the dealer this and he seemed surprised.

F
Mitsbishi Colt 1.1 or 1.3 - MondeoMonkeyMagic
Just bought a 1.1 2006 5dr Attivo spec Colt with 8K on for £4K from a private seller and it goes really well I think. I had a test drive in a 1litre current shape 5dr T3 Yaris and there didn't seem to be much difference in the performance (IMHO), although the Yaris did ride better, had more comfortable seats and emitted less road noise.

Wasn't aware the 1.1 had a potential shelf of 60K though, why?
Mitsbishi Colt 1.1 or 1.3 - mattbod
Nothing to worry abut but some of the "experts" on here were very dismissive of three cylinder engines in an earlier post. I think it inonsense myself. Go to forum search and type three cylinder engines. Not talking abut the Colt engine per se but three bangers in general.
Mitsbishi Colt 1.1 or 1.3 - daveyjp
I also don't agree with the "60,000 miles then they die" view. A quick autotrader search for Toyota Yaris 1.0 reveals quite a few with 6 figure mileages, one ex driving school car has done 148,000!
Mitsbishi Colt 1.1 or 1.3 - Collos25
I.3 is just as economical as the 1.1 and can be used on long journeys had the 1.3 in a Smart forfour (identical car)it was quite nice I suppose the 1.5 diesel with soft touch is the cream on the cake.
Mitsbishi Colt 1.1 or 1.3 - bintang
I'm pretty sure HJ commented three years ago that the 1.1 was the better drive. I think he also said more recently that such cars are only designed with a life of five or so years in mind.

We have run the family 1.1 for about three years/22,000 miles. It is roomy and very good value for money. It is by no means just a town car: we used it for one UK and one French tour. It doesn't seem to use oil or air but I haven't kept a record of fuel economy.

Drawbacks: with the back of the passenger seats all the way down, front seat travel is reduced; agricultural-sounding engine; pronounced steering torque and odd-looking gear stick. On our model, the battery has to be kept topped up and I thought such batteries were long gone.

The gear stick has been the only problem. The knob is part of a sleeve, all of which came away after three months. It was still possible to operate the box with the exposed shaft but restoring the sleeve involved dismantling the box for some reason.
I'm pretty sure HJ commented three years ago that the 1.1 was the better drive.

That's why I was surprised at how bad I found the one I tried. But horses for courses (and it might have been a duff one) - I would just say don't dismiss the 1.3 based on its engine without driving one first.

Of course I accept that your purchase and running costs are going to be higher with a 1.3 and those might be good enough reasons for rejecting it.
A quick autotrader search for Toyota Yaris 1.0 reveals quite a few with 6 figure mileages

Just checking - are those mk2s? The 1.0 as fitted to our mk1 was 4 cyl. Not that I've got anything against 3 cyls - I had a 3 cyl Corsa a few years ago for a few days and thought it made quite a nice noise.

Edited by Focus {P} on 27/08/2008 at 14:49