You and yours - Collos25
On the BBC radio 4 yesterday the YOU and yours program was all about motor cars and some parts were quite intersesting until they interviewed a numpty who owned a service repair garage (with more eqipment in it than a NASA space station) who went onto say such things that you cannot renew brake pads without a computer and if you were to put the wrong oil in a car then you would totally trash the engine his main jist was that only he could repair or service cars and anybody who did any form of home service was a potetial murderer.Remind me to stay away from his garage.
You and yours - gordonbennet
Didn't hear that, but he does have a point about replacing brake pads.

I understand for example on the W211 MB E class 02 on, that if you don't follow a certain sequence when you take a brake pad out and the system senses too much free play in the caliper, it will pump the piston out instantly to close that gap. Not a place i want my fingers to be, apart from the ensuing problems, and even someone opening the drivers door can fire this system up.

In another thread it was mentioned that the suspension system on the C5 needs to be shut down before working on anything underneath for exactly the same reason.

Gradually the manufacturers have are making their cars with enough complications that only they and a very few independents can work safely on them, and how may used buyers bother to research prospective purchases, 'it looks really pretty, i like the colour, it impresses the neighbours etc'.

I know there are still many vehicles that haven't gone down this route, but i predict this will get worse, at least on the alleged premium brands.
You and yours - Dog
I also listened to that prog which is probably still available until lunchtime today ~ www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/console/b00d3stg
The Fiord Focus requires a "special" oil I believe, and the chap talking about brake pads and diagnostic equipment did know what he was talking about - I found it a very interesting program.
I would be very, very careful if I decide to carry out an oil change on my 1.8 Almera now that it is out of warrantee - not wishing to "upset" my timimg chain at all at all.
You and yours - jc2
What's this SPECIAL oil you need for a Focus?Not semi-synthetic 5W/30 by any chance?
You and yours - DP
Gradually the manufacturers have are making their cars with enough complications that >> only they and a very few independents can work safely on them,

I guess the trick is differentiating the complications that come as the unavoidable result of some genuine technical advance which improves the ownership experience, from the complications which have been deliberately "designed in" and are apparently unnecessary, but force owners to go to the dealer network. The most obvious example of the latter is making headlamp bulbs deliberately difficult to change for example.

I would also like to see a thorough investigation into the use of manufacturer specific diagnostic codes, and the outrageous practice of requiring ECU recodes when components are changed. I understand why this is necessary for a CR diesel injector for example, but really not for a power steering pump, instrument pod, or a piece of in car entertainment. If you had to take your PC back to the manufacturer every time you wanted to change the keyboard or monitor, there would be uproar.

Edited by DP on 26/08/2008 at 10:14

You and yours - L'escargot
The most obvious example of the latter is making headlamp bulbs deliberately difficult to
change ......

The problem on my Focus is caused purely by the closeness of the battery, and really there is nowhere else that the battery could be situated. Under the bonnet everything fits snugly (but not too snugly) together and there is no waste space.
You and yours - DP
The problem on my Focus is caused purely by the closeness of the battery

As it was on the mk2 Mondeo, but they made the headlights removable in about 15 seconds. There are ways around these things, but they choose not to do it.

As for the firmware / BIOS updates for the PC, if these are needed, they are in the public domain, with instructions on how to implement them. Even if you lack the technical know-how or confidence to DIY, you can take it anywhere in the PC repair market to have the updates done. A totally different world to the tightly locked down, "dealer only" car market.

If a VAG COM equivalent for other makes existed, that would help.

Cheers
DP
You and yours - Altea Ego
If you had to take your PC back to the manufacturer every time you wanted to change the keyboard or monitor,

you have ot know what you are doing tho. Changing parts on a pc can involve plenty of knowledge, (device drivers, bios updates, settings)

Producing cars with the reliability, cheapness and all the toys and goodies and inovations you want ladies and gentlemen is the cause of the problem.
You and yours - Bill Payer
I understand for example on the W211 MB E class 02 on that if you
don't follow a certain sequence when you take a brake pad out and the system
senses too much free play in the caliper it will pump the piston out instantly
to close that gap. Not a place i want my fingers to be apart from
the ensuing problems and even someone opening the drivers door can fire this system up.

You can easily disable the SBC system (pull a fuse) but you do have to know these things - I'll bet it would catch out many a non-franchsie garage doing it for the first time.
You and yours - Old Navy
Could I refer you to the thread "Service indicator - the future"?
You and yours - billy25
How long before cars come with a bonnet that can only be opened with a special tool, and the ubiquitous sticker attached "no user servicable parts inside"?

Billy
You and yours - Paddler Ed
How long before cars come with a bonnet that can only be opened with a
special tool and the ubiquitous sticker attached "no user servicable parts inside"?
Billy

Didn't Audi try this with the A2 at first? Only the grill could be opened which allowed you to access the fluids, but nothing else?
You and yours - Dog
I don't own a Focus now, but when I did I was lead to believe it had to be fed Ford's own oil, I know all makers come up with the same lark, but is that not the case then with the Focus 1.6 Zetec ?
You and yours - Collos25
no