F250 6.9d V8 Veg oil conversion ? - motorprop
I run a 1986 Ford USA F250 truck with a 6.9 Diesel V8. The truck already has 2 separate diesel tanks and is not of course common rail. It is therefore suitable for a Veg Oil ' conversion ' , however had a company doing these telling me that I cannot convert whilst on the factory issue ' Stanadyne ' Injection Pump , I would need another make like a Bosch or others .

My question is : How can I find a compatible injection pump , where to start looking ? I have free veg oil and space to filter it .

Any ideas out there ?

slt to include model details - is this a tech question ?

Edited by Pugugly on 24/08/2008 at 16:07

F250 6.9d V8 Veg oil conversion ? - Screwloose
motorprop

The 8-cyl Stanadyne pump is a pretty well-tested piece of kit, widely used by Ford, GM and Detroit. There was a plastic piece of the governor that used to give problems on the early ones; but that's been modified for many years.

I doubt that Bosch do a compatible pump; did this firm mention why they thought it was unsuitable - or had they just never heard of one? Ask someone like Watson Diesel for a proper opinion.
2 separate firms ( one in W. Bromwich , the other Elsbett from Germany ) have said the Stanadyne is a no goer : the reason cited by the West Midlands boys was that these Injection pumps can snap / shear their central shaft under the increased strain of pumping more viscous veg oil . The Huns just said ' No way ' when I mentioned Stanadyne , and suggested a swap to Bosch I.P ..

Seems a shame as the truck is half ready with 2 separate tanks and no Common rail ....

Edited by motorprop on 24/08/2008 at 21:49

F250 6.9d V8 Veg oil conversion ? - Screwloose

I thought the whole point of twin-tanking was that there was no viscosity change - you run on diesel until the heaters hae thinned the SVA?

Diesel must be quite thick at -25C too - and those pumps must encounter that on a regular basis in Canada?

The only V8 with a Bosch pump that, I've come across, is the 440PS Merc/OM one in things like the Unimog. Quite a game to convert it to yours though.
F250 6.9d V8 Veg oil conversion ? - Number_Cruncher
2 separate firms

Why not take the obvious hint. These two companies both had something potentially to gain by allowing you to continue - they said not, and hence denied themselves of any possible income. Why do you think they did that?

Of the many firms (mostly cowboys) involved in waste/straight vegetable oil consumption in diesels, Elsbett is about the only one that I would even dream of trusting. Despite being among the most suitable cars for the veg oil treatment, I wouldn't even consider pollting the vehicle with the slimy junk.

maybe it's because they don't want to try something new . Plenty of Yanks are telling me they are running this truck on Veg oil over there - trouble is they are home mechanics who built the kits themselves and incapable of commercial production. I have no desire to ship my truck to Wichacootie , Kansas to let a gun - toting redneck get hold of my rig with a blow torch.
maybe it's because they don't want to try something new .

You're fooling yourself - Elsbett are quite an innovative company. Have a look at their history, and their product line up. They are IMO one of the very few companies who truly "know" what they are doing with veg burning in diesel engines.

Some fellow back roomers were saying it's impossible, ' take the hint ' ( to convert the truck to run on veg oil ) , but this crowd are adament that it isn't ...

www.goldenfuelsystems.com/resources_faq_systems.ph...e

for those interested , scroll down to the Ford F250 6.9
>>but this crowd are adament that it isn't ...

Mmm, with an 80K pump life. Impressive!

80 k at 110 p a litre is not bad going .
F250 6.9d V8 Veg oil conversion ? - Bernard Fenley

Try using raptor high pressure vegetable oil pump with 150gph flow rate. That works really well in my ford excursion 7.3L. Or you might as well try the 100gph flow rate if the former isn't compatible working for your fleet.

Valves and VO Fuel Pumps