Service indicator - the future? - Old Navy
Now that ECUs can put a car into "limp mode" should a defect be detected, could the service indicator be added to the "defect list" in the future? A delay of say 2,000 miles or 2 months could be applied and the manufacturers would probably claim "emmissions check" or some other green reason for this feature. It would also add ECU reset to the service cost.
Service indicator - the future? - Optimist
If the car goes into "limp mode" because of whatever defect and can only be driven at low revs, how do you know it's in limp mode and therefore ok to drive? Is there something on the instruments? How far can you go in this mode? If my car refused to drive normally I'd probably stop altogether if I could.

Service indicator - the future? - Old Navy
If the car goes into "limp mode" because of whatever defect and can only be
driven at low revs how do you know it's in limp mode and therefore ok
to drive?

My car has an engine warning light. Book says "If it flashes reduce speed immediately, avoid heavy acceleration, and seek expert help." It also has an engine systems warning light. Book says "Stop immediately switch off engine and and seek expert help." This car does not have a service light. Previous cars have had service warning lights, the users manual could say words to th effect, "If service light on and performance reduced seek expert help asap".