1997 1.1 - Limp Home Mode? - Beeps66
Hi There,

I have a 97 1.1 Saxo (HDZ) - I bought it for my partner when it was a year old and it has been a great little car. Recent separation meant it coming back to me!

Recently I noticed an oil leak coming from the rocker cover seal so with funds a little low (divorce is very expensive!) I bought a Haynes and decided to tackle this and a few other jobs myself.

A week or so ago, the idle when starting on cold disappeared and I had to keep my foot on the accelerator until it warmed up - even then, the idle was around a clunky 500rpm.

So I thought it was a spark plug change needed. As I said, I've only just got the car back and I think the servicing etc has been neglected. The plugs that came out were a beautiful tan color - no issue there then.
The auto part I bought was a Denso K20TXR, which seems to be the right plug. I'm a little confused though because the original plugs had a single tab coming over the needle (a normal spark plug?) but these new Denso's were a double affair, and each one met the needle at the side instead of the top.

My problems began!

When I started the car there was o noticeable improvement in the idling, and when I attempted to drive it, it spluttered at 2000rpm. Upon looking at the internet, it looks like for some reason it has gone into a 'LIMP HOME' mode?

I took out the new plugs and noticed that one of them looked quite sooty (the nearest to the coil pack, which is a SAGEM), put the old ones back in, but alas, still the same symptoms - cutting out at 2000rpm.

Can you make any suggestions please?

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 23/08/2008 at 13:49