I had an `engine` dream last night - oilrag
I was looking into an engine bay. There was a small modern petrol engine, with modern covers and so on, but space all round the engine with every DIY item being accessible.

Does this exist?

(Triggered I think by watching an old film featuring period cars.)

Edited by oilrag on 21/08/2008 at 12:04

I had an `engine` dream last night - mss1tw
Sounds more like an (exhaust?) pipe dream ;-)
I had an `engine` dream last night - alfalfa
what make of motorbike was it?

alfalfa
I had an `engine` dream last night - DP
what make of motorbike was it?

Not a modern one. I've got to do the shims on the ZZR soon, and this job fills me with dread. All fairing plastics, fuel tank, airbox (including ram air plumbing), coils, coil brackets, and HT leads have to come off. Then a wiring loom that's slap bang in the way has to be dealt with - large scale disconnection and moving of the loom. Then if the clearances need adjusting, the cams have to come out, which means removing the pickup coil cover (to set the timing), cam chain tensioner, cam sprockets and then the cams themselves.
This is a standard 8,000 mile service item!
On a lot of newer sportsbikes, you can't get the cam cover off with the engine in situ at all!

Edited by DP on 21/08/2008 at 12:43

I had an `engine` dream last night - Another John H
have a look under the bonnet of the 1.2 petrol engined punto.

(previous version - not sure about the Grande Punto)
I had an `engine` dream last night - mss1tw
>> what make of motorbike was it?
Not a modern one.

Heh ain't that the truth!
I had an `engine` dream last night - cheddar
Not a modern one. I've got to do the shims on the ZZR soon >>

Yes you have to take the cams out on a ZZR600 and related motors however on the ZZR/ZRX1100 and 1200 the cam followers slide to one side enable access to the shim, very easy in comparison. Kawa quoted 7500 intervals though changed this to 15000 for later ZRXs with no mechanical changes because in-service experience indicated that 7500 checks are not required, it might be the same for the 600, perhaps ask a Kawa dealer. That being said mine was done at 8000 and I will check it at 15000 ish, another four years at this rate!

Yamaha have got this sorted, my 1990 FZR600 had 27,000 mile intervals as do most of their bikes today including the 16,000rpm R6, quite amazing really.
I had an `engine` dream last night - DP
Yes you have to take the cams out on a ZZR600 and related motors however
on the ZZR/ZRX1100 and 1200 the cam followers slide to one side enable access to
the shim very easy in comparison.

Yeah, the early ZX9s were the same. A much nicer piece of design from a maintenance point of view.

What's doubly annoying on the 600 is that the shims are hidden under the buckets, meaning you don't know what shims you've got in the engine (and therefore what you need to order) until the absolute end of the dismantling process. Unless you have a stock of shims, which most people don't, or you're very lucky and can swap shims around from other valves to get them all within tolerance, you then have a delay in getting the shims you need before you can even start the reassembly process.
SWMBO's old GPZ500 had screw and locknut adjustment rather than shims. I could do the clearances on this engine in about 40 minutes, including the dismantling required for access. Only downside is they tended to be "out" at almost every service.

I had an `engine` dream last night - paulb {P}
Not a modern one. I've got to do the shims on the ZZR soon and
this job fills me with dread...

This is exactly why I'm glad I have a chap who sorts the Bandit out for cheap (major service, including valve clearances & balance all 4 carbs, for under £300). If I tried to do it myself - let's just not go there.

One thing I am spared is removal of lots of fairing, though.
I had an `engine` dream last night - skorpio
The last time I saw an engine bay with daylight visible was in the mother in law's Kia Pride. It was most refreshing, but gave me the unnerving feeling that something was missing.
I had an `engine` dream last night - gordonbennet
Well i owned it once, and apparently its still insured so someones still driving my old '93 landcruiser, designed around the late sixties.

A mechanics dream, no computer, straight 4 cyl 3 litre turbo diesel, honestly made and designed to be fixed in the field, every item getatable, 1 hour easy cambelt change, but the most amazing thing, even though the vehicle was made in Japan, every single electrical item, solenoid, relay, you name it had written in English exactly what it was and the voltage, never seen that before and unlikely ever too again, i wonder if any of the newer ones have that thoughtful touch.

ie, pull out the glowplug relay, stamped on the side..'glow plug relay 12V'...why can't all makers do that?

Slight difference to your dream OR, it isn't small, it isn't petrol, and you have to stand on the bumper or the tyres to get down and dirty, but you could virtually climb in beside the engine to work on it, no need to jack it up either, just get on your creeper and slide under.

No computer, but amazingly low emissions, not possible we are now told.
I had an `engine` dream last night - doctorchris
Just looking inside the engine bay of my neighbour's Morris Minor yesterday. Thought he'd removed the engine until I blinked a few times and was able to see it. We discussed how easily a Rover V8 fits in the space available.
Engine bay of my daughter's Panda 1.1 Active seems to give good accessibility to components and is free of clutter. My 4x4 Panda is not so good as it has aircon and a big sump guard obscures the underside.
The Land cruiser must have surely been Land Rovers worst nightmare GB, in remote area`s such as the Australian outback?
Wonder if they all still end up out in the Middle East when they get older?

Regarding the engine dream. Have run diesels now since 1991, but I had recently been reflecting on whether the current one will be the last. I`m referring to all the extra complexity now being fitted.
There`s a sort of internal `cut off point` where I would rather pay more for fuel to keep it simpler, no way (for example) would I buy into that DPF regeneration joke.

I had an `engine` dream last night - Alby Back
Interesting you say that Oilrag. I have had diesels for 12 years and can't criticise them, they have with one notable French exception been ultra reliable and undeniably economical. The dynamics of the economy equation have however changed in recent times due to fuel price increases and differentials.

At the moment I am running two cars back to back as my business workhorses. One is my faithful old Mk3 Mondeo 2.0 diesel estate. The other is a Vauxhal Signum fitted with the 2.2 petrol unit.

I have been carefully monitoring the relative costs per mile of fuel usage. The Mondeo costs, at current prices, £45 to cover 350 miles. The Signum costs £50 to travel the same distance. I have checked and re-checked this figure by brimming to first click and relating it to miles driven.

So if I cover, say, 35k miles in the next 12 months it would cost me £500 more to do it all in the Signum. Or to put it another way 100k miles would cost £1429 more with the petrol car.

If you then allow for the retail price differential between diesel and petrol cars the cost difference becomes marginal, even when you take the VED debacle into account.

Couple this to my preference for the way a reasonably powerful petrol engine drives and the increasing concerns over diesel engine reliability and I have to say that the choice is no longer nearly so clear cut, even for a high mileage driver like me.

Edited by Humph Backbridge on 22/08/2008 at 09:44

I had an `engine` dream last night - MichaelR
I was amazed by the space under the bonnet in the E91 318d SE I had for a week. Everything seemed easily reachable - even the aux belts, radiator, etc etc without having to remove everything else. Lots of room.
I had an `engine` dream last night - gordonbennet
Count me in your camps OR and Humph, if Toyo had offered the 2.7 V6 petrol in the hilux as a genuine uk car we would have bought that and put lpg on it, stacks of room underneath for huge gas tank capacity, unfortunately only available as a grey and i know from discussing at toyo dealers they will have nothing to do with greys.

Seems only yesterday that the diesel/petrol cost of motoring debate was undeniably pro diesel, not just the cost of fuel and the relative efficiencies anymore, you also have to consider the possibility of very expensive repairs, and as we read from our knowledgeable techies here, even getting a correct diagnosis is all but impossible.

I wonder if the makers will find some way to make the co2 output of petrols reduce by some high tech means, the petrol equivalent of the DPF, maybe recirculate/incinerate the burnt gases, that'll be fun...
I had an `engine` dream last night - Another John H
>>I wonder if the makers will find some way to make the co2 output of petrols
>>reduce by some high tech means...

A work in progress.

FIAT Multi-Air... I don't even know what VW's is called...

In persuit of thermodynamic efficiency I suspect they are straying towards the Atkinson cycle, under certain (light throttle?) conditions.
I had an `engine` dream last night - Pugugly
This morning ! Dreamt of a late reg Austin/Morris 1100/1300 ticking over in that particular noisy way that they did (sort of loose bearings sort of noise) - it was a luxury version of the car with deeply chromed rear lights and two tone hub caps. I know what triggered the dream it was that insurance ad with the runaway Volvo colliding with the South African saloon version of the 1100/1300 which I saw last night.........In the dream I'd nicked a Copper's Airwave radio and was on he run..........
My Dad bought a, then new, Van Den Plas Princess 1300 auto as his retirement present to himself. Brown with cream leather.

It wasn't a bad little car but he just looked too big for it somehow. Selective perception I guess as we had always known him to have large cars. It was his first and only automatic. He had a long but narrow drive and to get back out onto the street required a lomgish reverse, I clearly remember the look of horror on his face the first morning he did that with choke on. You wouldn't believe how fast a 1300 can reverse....

I drove it a few times when my then MG Midget was in a mechanical huff but never really got to like it much. I don't think Dad did either as he was often heard to mutter that he should just have kept his Volvo 244 going instead of trading down in size. I can't imagine there would have been a huge fuel saving or anything.

However, he did keep the VDP and sadly never got a chance to buy another car. My brother ran it for a while after Dad passed away but it just sort fell apart due to terminal rust eventually. It can't have been all that old at the time, maybe 7 years or something and certainly didn't have a great deal of mileage on it. Reminds you how tough modern cars are really.
I had an `engine` dream last night - Andrew-T
>Reminds you how tough modern cars are really.<

No - it's just that Leyland never learnt (or bothered) to rustproof cars. When the Pug 205 came along in the early 80s the publicity laid great stress on the 11-coat paint process. It seemed (still seems) to work.

My FiL had one of those VdP 1100s when he retired - it followed a Minx and a Minor.
I had an `engine` dream last night - L'escargot
Sounds like a small engine in a big car.
Weirdly, I saw one today, equally strange my attention was drawn to it by the ball bearing in a tin sond from the engine. Seemed remarkably rust free despite a layer of salt on it.
It always makes me cringe when I see a 30+ year old classic left covered in salt. I wonder if these cars have been lovingly cared for by decades only to be bought as a `trendy` car and then given modern abuse.

I have seen a Nissan Figaro being given this treatment.
I had an `engine` dream last night - gmac
Humph - two words...Renault Espace ! Happy nightmares :)
Funnily enough I had a dream last night that I won the lottery and I bought a brand new S60 D5 (obviously money no object EU4 DPF auto model) but hey ! money no object.
Serviced my wifes CBR600FV and was amazed at how quiet the engine still is at twelve years with regular daily use and 6 monthly 10/50 synthetic oil and filter changes. What amazes me is at this age most bike clutches complain of this type of oil - colleague has a ZZR600D model which hates the stuff.

Edited by gmac on 01/11/2008 at 19:26

I still have the occasional dream about a certain cream and red Triumph twin.. It`s always the same, that its there outside in the shed, but I can`t reach it.

I sold it aged 17yrs, 43 years ago.
I had an `engine` dream last night - gmac
I have the same dream about FIAT 128 Coupe SL's. That is what I learned to drive in, unfortunatley most are 1100's, French and canary yellow or 1300's in New Zealand.
Don't mention the "E" word gmac. I've only just come off the treatment. tic tic........

:-(
Espace,Espace Espace Espace Espace
Espace
Espace
- there.
Aaaaaaaarrrrggghhh...................
I had an `engine` dream last night - Avant
Let's rub salt in the wound. I had an Espace (1988/F), the fifth I think of seven consecutive Renaults. It did over 120,000 miles in nearly 5 years and never let us down: just a head gasket at 100,000 + which was forgivable. Still a happy memory for our 4 children, now grown up.

Sadly too many Renaults from about 2000 on were like yours, Humph, so that their value drops like a stone: my last four cars have come from the Fatherland - fortunately these too have been reliable.
I had an `engine` dream last night - Avant
mycarcheck.comWell, blow me - out of curiosity I've just looked at mycarcheck.com and the Espace, F923 NMO, is still around, at 20 years old. Nice to know a good old friend is still alive!

Edited by Avant on 01/11/2008 at 23:43

I had an `engine` dream last night - Bagpuss
It always makes me cringe when I see a 30+ year old classic left covered
in salt. I wonder if these cars have been lovingly cared for by decades only
to be bought as a `trendy` car and then given modern abuse.

I have, sadly, a confession to make.

My Merc W124 was clearly pampered by its one previous owner in the 14 years and 68,000km he owned it. Literally no noteworthy scratches or evidence of touch up paint anywhere. Well, last week I managed to reverse it into a metal gatepost. Only a very small area on the rear bumper where I've removed the top layer of paint. So frustrating though, being responsible for the first "proper" scratch on a car that's now nearly 15 years old. Trying to decide whether to get the bumper resprayed or not.