01 1.8 A Knocking/rumble on starting off - Optimist
Odd noise appeared in last few days. Lasts for only a minute or so on starting off. Not when car is rolling in neutral. Only when in drive.

Any thoughts before I let the dealer loose on it?

Thanks.
01 1.8 A Knocking/rumble on starting off - Screwloose

Checked the wheelnuts?
01 1.8 A Knocking/rumble on starting off - bathtub tom
Any feedback on this?
Wheel nuts were ok. Local dealer hasn't identified anything wrong but noise still there as of this evening.

Wild guess from me: could it be anything to do with the ABS sorting itself out after starting off?

Thanks for any thoughts.
01 1.8 A Knocking/rumble on starting off - Screwloose

ABS should only work with the brake pedal pressed?

Noises are always difficult to diagnose remotely - any more details? Front/rear? Left/right? Felt through steering/seat?
I suggested ABS because IIRC the handbook says something about a click or similar soon after you start off.

There's essentially nothing but the noise. Front right. Sort of a knock or rumble. Maybe half a dozen times then that's it except I'm beginning to wonder if road noise isn't increasing. Wheel bearing? Drive shaft?

I'm no technician, so thanks.

01 1.8 A Knocking/rumble on starting off - DP
The Volvo (and a Fiesta we used to have) does an ABS self test the first time the car reaches about 15 mph after start up. It's a series of very rapid light knocks / (almost a buzz) which lasts about half a second. If it's going on for a minute, it's something else.

Cheers
DP
01 1.8 A Knocking/rumble on starting off - REMMA
You are not the only one with this problem optimist. I own a 2001 1.8 Primera with exactly the same symptoms. Should i ever manage to solve this mystery i will let you know and would appreciate if you could do the same. Good luck.