M1 Closure - redviper
Hi All

Just to let you know as a heads up, that the M1 at Sheffield is to be closed this saturday night and all day sunday ASFAIK due to the Demolition of the cooling towers next to the Tinsley Flyover

of the top of my head, i cant remember which junctions they are.

Thanks

Edited by redlightzone on 18/08/2008 at 18:24

M1 Closure - Group B
I was going to say junctions 34 and 34a, but according to H.A. the closure is from junctions 32 to 35, from midnight to 7:30pm on the 24th.

I wasnt aware that they were going so soon, but I drove past about 10 days ago and saw some suspicious holes in them at regular intervals, which did not look like concrete repair work..

It will look weird without them. What happened to the giant flower vase idea!?
M1 Closure - Pugugly
news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/south_yorkshire/755594...m

Bit more in here.
M1 Closure - redviper

. What happened to the giant flower vase idea!?

That would have been brilliant, a really good Idea for then IMO
M1 Closure - daveyjp
Knowing this area very well I'm wondering why it's closed from Junction 32 which only allows access to the M18. The diversion routes will be interesting.

It's easy to get from jcn 35 to jcn 33 and jcn 33 is about 3 miles from the works - it also allows access to Sheffield and Rotherham. To get to/from 31 involves going through a major set of roadworks to construct a dual carriageway. These are chaos at the best of times.
M1 Closure - druss
Is junction 32 closed? Can you still get onto the M1 from the M18?
M1 Closure - daveyjp
I suspect traffic going north will have to use the M18 to junction 1 then either go through Rotherham to the M1 junction 35, or use the A1.

Coming south forced to leave at 35 then be directed through Rotherham to M18 junction 1 then back to M1 at jcn 32.

Either way it could involve the roadworks mentioned above. I was down there on Tuesday and the roadwork section had huge tailbacks.

Definately an area to be avoided.
M1 Closure - maz64
. What happened to the giant flower vase idea!?
That would have been brilliant a really good Idea for then IMO

If that would have been as spectacular as it sounds, can you imagine the chaos that would have caused as drivers stood on the brakes to have a good look?

It was bad enough here in Reading when they put up a relatively ordinary wind turbine next to the M4.

Edited by Focus {P} on 19/08/2008 at 11:04

M1 Closure - redviper
SNIPQUOTE!
It was bad enough here in Reading when they put up a relatively ordinary wind
turbine next to the M4.

Very True

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 19/08/2008 at 13:23

M1 Closure - Tron
The towers come down this Sunday 24th August 2008 at 0300 am.

tinyurl.co.uk/a6d0

Edited by Tron on 22/08/2008 at 16:43

M1 Closure - rtj70
There were warnings on the A66 about the closure this morning near Penrith! I initially misread and thought they'd shut the M6 ;-)
M1 Closure - daveyjp
Good idea - Penrith is a decision point if you are travelling to the south of Sheffield - A66, A1, M1, or carry on down the M6 and cut across country further south to avoid the closure.

Edited by daveyjp on 23/08/2008 at 21:37

M1 Closure - Pugugly
news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/south_yorkshire/757826...m

'tis no more.