02 1.4 making sense of engine management codes - rich75
Out of the blue, my fiesta started to missfire. Shortly afterwards the engine light began flashing and the speed limitor kicked in. Fortunately I wasn't far from home but I'm now without a car. Some time ago something similar occurred, then it was a leaking core plug. As expected Ford took my eyes out, charging around £300 to repair (I was naive).

I suspect the current problem may be similar or involve the coilpack. I have ran the test on the dashboard but unable to make sense of most of the codes. There are around 35, I can post but to save time now is there any particular that would point out this problem. I'd appreciate any sort of help, before rushing out to Ford?

Edited by Pugugly on 18/08/2008 at 22:19

02 1.4 Making Sense of Engine Management Codes - Screwloose
Rich

I wouldn't be surprised if it's the same thing either. Those in-head coreplugs are a nightmare to fix. Pull the HT leads out and see if any are wet or rust-stained. [They did fit new ones last time...?]

The flashing light was indicating a cat-destroying misfire. Post the P0xxx and P1xxx codes; I would expect at least one P030x code.
02 1.4 Making Sense of Engine Management Codes - rich75
Ford replaced the HT leads when they resealed the core plug (I think around 2 years ago). I've just had them off, they look ok, none are wet or corroded. I now think it could be a coil pack problem. Tried to start the car, it turns over but won't fire up. We tested a couple of the HT leads with a spare spark plug but the spark was quite weak (orangey yellow colour). The P codes shown on the dash were:

P0-00
P2-19
P6-29

I can't make sense of those codes either; they're supposed to be P and four digits?

Coilpacks tend to either work or not; weak sparks on all four is very unusual. Had you just refuelled when this problem started?
I filled up a couple of days ago, I've done about 60 miles or so from a full tank
ok, I changed the coil pack and after a couple of attempts the engine started. It seems to be running ok but the engine light is illuminated. Is this normal? I was wondering if maybe the engine management needs to be reset after detecting a problem?
Any further advice would be much appreciated.

The light may go out after a set number of drive cycles - if the problem is completely cured.....
02 1.4 Making Sense of Engine Management Codes - JamieA
I had the same problem with my Fiesta about 2 months ago. I took it to the Ford dealer who said that it was the coil pack. I had this replaced (£280!) and it cured the misfire and worked fine. Today the Engine Warning light has just come back on. It's not misfiring and sounds ok. I dont think they changed the plugs or leads when changing the coil pack. Any ideas whether this new light might be linked? Also checked for dtc codes but it says "none".