Strange Ford service - Leif
I took my Ford Ka in for the annual service. I knew the front offside light had blown, and the front nearside tyre had a slow puncture. I mentioned the tyre to the garage but not the light. Anyway, on collecting the car I was told they had replaced a rear bulb, and the charge was £1. No additional labour costs. I got home, and found they had not changed the bulb that I knew had blown. I also know the rear lights were fine a few days before. And as for the tyre, it looks like they swapped the wheel with the spare.

It makes me wonder how much of the service was really done. I noticed that the brakes and steering did not have the usual just serviced feel (I can't explain that, but I always notice a difference). Oh well. So much for an official Ford dealership.
Strange Ford service - Chicken Vindaloo
So it's not just us who've had problems with Ford servicing then. You don't live in the Peterborough area by any chance do you?
Strange Ford service - jc2
Brakes and steering would just be inspection;any change in feel would likely be change to tyre pressures.
" Brakes and steering would just be inspection"

I believe they usually change the brake fluid, and some stuff such as door joints are oiled/greased.

It turns out they did not swap the dodgy wheel with the spare. They either knocked out the dents in the bad wheel, and repaired the puncture, or replaced the wheel, with no extra charge. Either way, they did a good job.

Maybe a good service, but slightly odd!

A Nissan dealer always used to charge me for a bulb replacement at full labour rates. Funny how many bulbs went. ;)
Strange Ford service - jc2
Brake fluid is not changed at every service and my dealer always asks first.
"Brake fluid is not changed at every service and my dealer always asks first. "

I think that you mean is that according to the service schedule brake fluid does not need to be changed at every service. And as I said it is usually changed (in my case).
Strange Ford service - L'escargot
"Brake fluid is not changed at every service and my dealer always asks first. "
I think that you mean is that according to the service schedule brake fluid does
not need to be changed at every service. And as I said it is usually
changed (in my case).

Usually or always?

For my Focus "renew brake fluid" is listed in the Warranty and Service Guide as being an Additional Scheduled Maintenance item, to be carried out every two years. At a previous Ford dealer I used, the Service Advisor would check the condition of the brake fluid prior to the service and make recommendations accordingly.
Strange Ford service - Ben 10
Just be aware that Ford dealerships conduct two types of servicing. I'm afraid the private individual gets the shorter one. It is not common knowledge but ask the next time which level of service they will be applying.
Those in the trade in the BR will know what I mean.
Strange Ford service - quizman
It seems to me that the only thing they do on a service is to change the oil and filter. Then a quick look round and tick the maintenance sheet.
That will be £180+VAT please sir.
Thats the shortest version.
Strange Ford service - whoopwhoop
Thats the shortest version.

So you reckon you know something useful, why don't you post the details?

I doubt anyone has the time (or inclination) to play guessing games with someone who "might" or "might not" know something... either spit it out or keep schtumm!
I believe not so long ago a survey was done of servicing, by a respectable organisation such as the AA, and the results were woeful, with items that needed attention being missed, and items that were fine being 'fixed'.

But I would have thought that most main dealerships would at least do a half-decent job.

Anyway, yes I think they usually/always check the brake fluid, and tell me if they think it needs replacing. Something about too much water in it I think.
Strange Ford service - Ben10
"next time which level of service they will be applying."
I think the answer is in the post. Just ask the service manager.
"I doubt anyone has the time (or inclination) to play guessing games with someone who "might" or "might not" know something... either spit it out or keep schtumm!"

Calm down, calm down. Who got out on the wrong side of bed. Watch it, or you'll blow an "arterial" gasket.

Edited by scribe on 13/08/2008 at 18:43