In a perfect world. Which car ? - Alby Back
Scenario - Imagine you have won a competition in a reputable car related publication. The no alternative prize is as follows.

You can choose any car ever made past or present. It will be supplied to you in either new or as new showroom condition. It will be yours to keep for five years. There will be no charge for the car and you will simply hand it back after five years.

The catch is that you must use it as your daily driver exclusively for that five years. It must therefore fit with your real lifestyle. You will be responsible for its upkeep, fuel, insurance, tax, servicing, repairs and other running costs during that period.

What would you choose and why ? Remember, one car only, to be used daily.

I think, though I will almost certainly change my mind several times, that mine might be a current BMW 535d Touring with all the toys.

In a perfect world. Which car ? - Pugugly
Same here - I really miss my 535d. What it has done, now owning a VAG product an reading the discussions here, is prove to me how BMW have tamed the diesel to give awesome road performance linked to decent economy and above all refinement. I may go for the new Seven series with the 3.0 litre diesel. A handsome car now.

Edited by Pugugly on 10/08/2008 at 22:51

ohhh I want an M5 Touring now :-(

Oh Humph been to the website now the new seven is beautiful.

Edited by Pugugly on 10/08/2008 at 22:49

Just watched the TG re-run which featured the M5 touring at Manchester airport. You may have a point......

Seven would be no good for the dogs.....sorry.
In a perfect world. Which car ? - Westpig
Jaguar XF 2.7 diesel Premium wotsit (what a complicated naming system they seem to have now)..with a sun roof

stylish, comfortable, quick, frugal ish, loads of kit, British heritage, built by Brits
In a perfect world. Which car ? - legacylad
One of the last original Quattro 20v turbo's. In dark metallic blue. In my eyes, a simply beautiful car to look at and inspiring to drive.
I sold G646 JNV on the 26th Feb 1994 and still miss her dreadfully..what a sad old b I am...
In a perfect world. Which car ? - NowWheels
Mine would be a Citroen CX, because nobody has ever made a more beautiful or more comfortable car. Mine should be one of the original type with the rotary drum for the speedo, not the later ones with ordinary boring dials. Since this is in a perfect world, the car was never-used after its manufacture in the 1980s.

PS Any chance of a full-time mechanic to keep it running for me?
In a perfect world. Which car ? - gordonbennet
A practical dream car, thats going to take some sifting i thought, but then realised, i would only really want the E500 version of my own MB 124 coupe.

A totally unique car, subtle look, very comfortable, easy to drive, quiet and subdued and with a push of the pedal instantly transformed into a rocket of a car but with gentle predictable handling, somewhat smaller and narrower than most of the modern bloated designs.
No drama in its driving, just point, and unless you are silly it will do exactly what you ask.
Substitute the badge for one from an E220, no one except a real car buff would have a clue.
Worth putting up with the left hand drive to have a understated classic of a car, hand built by Porsche for MB.
Actually, I was mistaken. The Maserati Quatroporte in black with tan leather and a towbar for a trailer would get close.

;-)
Humph - you're a tease - that's the car I was going to put down, but everyday use ???

M5 is a far better real word proposition.
In a perfect world. Which car ? - Roger Jones
GB

I'd be more convinced about the ultimate appeal of the 500E/E500 if only it were not LHD, and slower and 25% more thirsty (25 vs <20mpg) than my 300E twin turbo (with first-generation run-on-rails Sportline suspension), with which I am deeply satisfied as a daily driver. I took the badges off it, including the turbo badge that a previous owner had borrowed from a diesel.

As I'm sure you will know, that there is no E500 Coupé. However, there is a twin turbo version of the Coupé. Like my saloon, they were all done under official MB sanction at what was then Hughes of Beaconsfield, who still have the kit in stock. However, it cannot simply be bolted on to a standard car (connecting rods are shortened, etc.).

So, for less than half the price of an E500 you can get RHD, better performance and better economy. Why wait and dream?

Edited by Roger Jones on 11/08/2008 at 10:28

In a perfect world. Which car ? - gmac
I was thinking Lancia Montecarlo or Delta Integrale but servicing would be a problem (no dealers).
What with the cost of fuel these days it would have to be a diesel and I can remember being impressed with a brand, spanking, new E320CDi taxi. Very fast car at the time. Don't really care about the rust issue as I would only have it for 5 years.
Mercedes CLS320CDi would fit the bill (naming is a bit odd though CLear Screen?).
In a perfect world. Which car ? - DavidHM
530d here as I think I'd stick with manual transmission no mater what. Wouldn't need the Touring now but if I were keeping it for five years, I might go for that anyway. Could probably live with the performance of the 520d and the economy is undoubtedly better, so that would be a consideration also.
In a perfect world. Which car ? - mrmender
BMW 5 & 7 Series ugh! if i ever meet any of you guys you will be easy to spot for sure the white stick & labrador will be a dead give away.
:-)))) down Shep !
In a perfect world. Which car ? - Stuartli
Forget just one car.

In a perfect world you would have a harem of vehicles, each chosen to serve a particular purpose whenever required...:-)
Roomster is an ugly one as well.
In a perfect world. Which car ? - mrmender
Yes indeed plenty of room for the labrador though
In a perfect world. Which car ? - Pebble
1976 AMC Pacer, with the 3 speed autotrans and 258 Six...brilliant, especially with the 8-track tape player and CB radio. Is there a better daily driver? Mmmmmmmm...unlikely.
In a perfect world. Which car ? - Avant
What a good question, Humph - quite different from the 'fantasy car' thread which we 've done several times, and more interesting.

I hope I wouldn't be cheating in asking for test drives first: if allowed it would be between the Audi A4 Avant 3.0 TDI, BMW 335d Touring, and Mercedes C320 CDI estate. If not allowed I'd go for the Audi which I know I'd love, having had a much-loved 2.5 TDI two cars ago.

If I could take 'daily driver exclusively' literally I would hope to continue to keep my newly-acquired Y-reg BMW Z3 as a non-daily driver.
In a perfect world. Which car ? - Lud
Tatra 603, in black.
In a perfect world. Which car ? - DP
If we're talking "as new", make mine a 306 GTI-6 please. Still one of my absolute favourite cars that I've driven, including BMWs, Mercs, Audis and even a couple of Porsches. Handling to die for, and should be reasonable running costs too.

SWMBO can keep the Scenic for running the kids about in ;-)
In a perfect world. Which car ? - Dog
I wood knot mind a Morris Minor Traveller, preferably fully restored to its original condition inc. a bare metal respray and some 20w 50 in the carb dashpot.
In a perfect world. Which car ? - movilogo
New Mercedes S class [diesel]
In a perfect world. Which car ? - L'escargot
........ wood knot .......... Morris Minor Traveller ...........

Good pun, in fact brilliant!

Edited by L'escargot on 11/08/2008 at 10:17

In a perfect world. Which car ? - Stuartli
At full speed a case of "Shiver me timbers"?
In a perfect world. Which car ? - cheddar
C63 estate.
In a perfect world. Which car ? - mike hannon
1995 Bentley Continental R. Impractical, overweight, ecologically unsound - and drop-dead gorgeous.
So two fingers to the rest of the world.
In a perfect world. Which car ? - Mapmaker
I think some of the posters above have forgotten they're paying for petrol and servicing...

What about a nice, shiny, new Morgan?
In a perfect world. Which car ? - Alanovich
3 door Alfasud 1.5Ti in white with a little black spoiler on the boot. 1978 model, before they went all rubber bumper and wheelarches and the like.

There's a tear in my eye thinking about it!
I haven't forgotten - it'll be a pleasure.

Edited by mike hannon on 11/08/2008 at 14:07

In a perfect world. Which car ? - skorpio
I'd have to sell the kids on E Bay first but I'd love an Eagle E-type in dark blue with a tan interior.

All the looks and grace of an E-Type Jaguar but with modern brakes, suspension, steering, electrics etc.
Drop dead gorgeous IMO
In a perfect world. Which car ? - Dog
To be honest, if I'd learnt to play my Strat a tad better - like say Jimmy or Eric, I'd have a collection of jamjars ... maybe an AC Cobra ~ tinyurl.com/5vh5ko
Porsche carrera turbo, the aforementioned moggie minor, MB GL class, Perodua Kelisa (who said that !)
In a perfect world. Which car ? - Happy Blue!
If only the Lamorghini Espada was actually reliable when it came out of the factory - If I had one I would need an Italian mechanic to sit with me all day; fettling.

Being sensible (!) I would have the NSU Ro80 - which would also need a travelling mechanic - so it's the NSU with a nice Mazda RX8 engine please...
In a perfect world. Which car ? - daveyjp
I'll have one of the two RS6 Avants (I thought they were like rocking horse droppings) sat in the local Audi showroom. Failing that the new A4 Avant sat behind it with a 6 cylinder diesel would probably hurt my pocket less.
In a perfect world. Which car ? - DP
It's the fact I'd be responsible for running and upkeep costs that kept my decision so realistic. Much less than 30 mpg would be unaffordable for me as a daily driver.

I only say this now, because an RS6 Avant would be top of my list otherwise.

Given the circumstances, the Pug would do nicely :-)
In a perfect world. Which car ? - ifithelps
Anything that one of the snipers on here wouldn't then tell me is rubbish. :)
In a perfect world. Which car ? - cjehuk
Range Rover Sport TDV8 with Toys.
In a perfect world. Which car ? - ifithelps
They're rubbish! (see above):)
This thread has totally browned me off..........tonight - loose end, fancied a drive - I mean a drive not a bimble - DSC off etc some rear end drift (OK lots of it) can't do it the Roomie of the Golf for that matter. Thanks Humph :-(
On a positive note though PU. As I discovered when I bought my latest chunk of metal, the way prices are now you can buy something quite good fun for relative loose change at the moment. You don't need to make a significant purchase decision right now to get a reasonably entertaining car.

Why not just chop the Landy in against an aging but cared for BMW until you decide what you really want long term ?

The Landy is going, MOT'd today, local guy coming to see it tomorrow- no effort in selling it, somebody "heard" it was going, he knows how much I want and that it's a reluctant sale (no offers etc) and he knows my heart's not really in selling it, so he either pays the slightly outrageous asking price or I keep it (as long as Mrs P's not at home)
In a perfect world. Which car ? - daveyjp
Can I change?

Someone passed me a classic car mag today and in there was a 1979 Merc 116 450 advertised. One owner from 2 months old and looked immaculate less than 1,000 miles a year and full MBSH - £12,000.

Am I mad?
I know this is off topic but it's my thread so there !..........

Re your need for a bit of connected driving PU. For almost certainly a lot less than you will get for the Landy you could get hold of a Westfield or similar. I had one for five years and used it a lot more than I would have imagined when I bought it. Given that it was the third car in the stable it covered nearly 50k in the time I had it. It got used for transcontinental trips, business journeys ( if a briefcase was the only requirement ), nipping to town, all sorts really. Even in winter it got an airing on crisp days. Once even took it through Kielder forest on hard packed snow. Nothing I have had before or since has been as much fun, it turned every drive into an event. The only driver aids fitted were your wits. I miss it so but it no longer fitted our seating needs so it went. Really regret that decision.
I
mean a drive not a bimble - DSC off etc some rear end drift (OK
lots of it)

Heh heh PU... see Tatra 603 above, no DSC, big crossplies, swing axles, aircooled V8 in the tail and those fabulous baroque Czech secret-police looks... Very good and well-made car too...
Bangle good looks as well - what more could I ask for (Beer Glasses perhaps ?)

commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Image:Tatra_603.jpg
Got to be all black with dark green glass. That two-tone job destroys the lines and plays down the chrome. Believe me, makes a tremendous difference.

I don't expect most people to agree about the looks though. Enjoying that sort of thing requires a certain, er, detachment and scorn for convention. A lot of car enthusiasts are unaware that car aesthetics are essentially a compromise with the ugly, and succeed or fail in widely differing ways.

Where is that Altea Ego when you need him? Guzzling wine and game on the Italian lakes I shouldn't wonder.

Edited by Lud on 11/08/2008 at 23:01

In a perfect world. Which car ? - Bolt-on
Agree about the all black Tatra. I once sat at some lights in my ratty 1979 Dyane with the aforementioned black tatra on one side and an early '70s 911 on the other. I thought at the time it was quite a cool (aircooled, in fact), eccentric line up on a modern road system!
Love it Lud. I can see why you would choose it. Makes me think of "Dick Dastardly" in Wacky Races !
In a perfect world. Which car ? - tyro
Hmmm

I've pondered this one. The terms and conditions seem pretty extreme: "The catch is that you must use it as your daily driver exclusively for that five years.

I understand that to mean that I may not borrow my spouse's (or son's or daughter's or father's or mother's or friend's) car for purposes such as going to the garden centre. This, as Stuartli hints, is not so much a prize as a five year sentence.

However, let it pass. Let's think about it. It must therefore fit with your real lifestyle. You will be responsible for its upkeep, fuel, insurance, tax, servicing, repairs and other running costs during that period."

So, I will want to keep down fuel, insurance, and repair costs. That means something from the last 15 or 20 years, since cars have tended to get more economical, (& reliable) and getting parts would probably tend to be easier for modern cars.

I would want a fair amout of space for luggage etc - something like an estate. The 535d seems like a good idea. Except that the insurance costs are rather high. And then there is the prospect of driving on lonely Highland roads in the winter with rear wheel drive. And the stigma of being a BMW driver.

Perhaps a Mondeo estate? But then that has a rather big footprint. And I quite like a high driving position.

A 4x4? Naw - not economical. And not that good for luggage space.

An MPV? Perhaps. Do any of them have a compact footprint and lots of luggage space? Ah yes. These vans with windows thingies have more luggage space than any estate car anyway.

I think that it is going to turn out to be a Berlingo.

In a perfect world. Which car ? - dxp55
Finally narrowed it down to two -- DAF 44 Estate with the two drive belts and 12v electrics or 1957 Chevy Impala - both have big boots :-)
In a perfect world. Which car ? - davros
Let's see. Wet dogs, rural location and a long way to town, poor roads, the odd forest track, hard winters, comfortable on long runs, relatively frugal, totally dependable but still enjoyable to drive.

Sounds like a recipe for a nice new Outback diesel.
Surely the operative words here are 'perfect world'.
I can't imagine the mindset of anyone who, in a perfect world, would pick a Berlingo.
In a perfect world there wouldn't be any practical considerations, would there?
Sorry to be stuck in philosophy mode ;-)

Edited by mike hannon on 12/08/2008 at 10:57

In a perfect world. Which car ? - cheddar
>> In a perfect world there wouldn't be any practical considerations would there?
Sorry to be stuck in philosophy mode ;-)

That is why I mentally rejected Mapmakers's comment - "I think some of the posters above have forgotten they're paying for petrol and servicing..."

So I will stick with ther C63 estate or perhaps go for a 612 Scagletti which has a hint of practicality.
I think that's OK Cheddar because the underlying point is that for five years there is no requirement to budget for purchase or depreciation costs. These funds therefore are available to spend on the the other costs if you choose. Now you could take a view that this therefore means that you could still go for a practical car and therefore reduce your motoring expenses during the period or you could decide to continue spend at the same rate and treat yourself to something you would otherwise not be able to justify.

I guess the slightly serious question behind my original post was whether most people would choose the treat or the saving.
But what is a 'perfect world'? - tyro
I'm not quite sure what the OP meant by 'perfect world' - and since the phrase appeared only in the title, and not in the message, I didn't take too much notice of it. (I assumed that it was a shorthand for what followed, and not to be taken literally.)

After all, the terms and conditions did refer to being responsible for such things as tax and repairs, which, in a perfect world, would not exist. And surely fueling and insurance are, in some sense, 'practical considerations'?

[Dunno if that counts as philosophy ;-)]

p.s. And I'd like my Berlingo without electric windows. Though some people will undoubtedly find a mindset with such preferences puzzling. :-)
But what is a 'perfect world'? - Nsar
M5 Estate or poss that pumped up Audi estate the Rs6?

This is just making me want to hang round the Autotrader website looking for Spec Bs now.
But what is a 'perfect world'? - lotusexige
Evo 9GT or Porsche Caymen S. Both quick and practical, if someone else is paying the capial cost and me running it the Porsche. In the real world where I am paying both capital cost and running cost the Evo or the Porsche Boxter S.
When I get to be too old and stiff to hop in and out of the Exige it will probably be one of those.
But what is a 'perfect world'? - Pugugly
I'm part way - Landie was sold this morning for the asking price, which was far more than it was worth. Subaru featured in my conversation this afternoon.
But what is a 'perfect world'? - Alby Back
'ey up ! I can just see the headline now........

" Baseball cap wearing local tearaway in Subaru Impreza arrested for excessive speeding and drifting on Asda car park. " Much to the astonishment of local police officers they found that they knew the man as a former pillar of the community. " " His sentence will serve as an example........."

;-)
But what is a 'perfect world'? - Happy Blue!
I might be persuaded to let go of my Outback if you asked nicely.........
But what is a 'perfect world'? - rtj70
When I see the likes of Aston Martins and Bentley I think it would be nice to have one. But would it. For an every day car something like a well spec'd diesel A6 or A8 would probably be my choice. Won't handle like a BMW but... it's my choice.

Interesting article in last week's Auto Express. Comparing an Audi RS6 vs the alternative for similar money... a Catherham, a Nissan 350Z and a Mondeo 2.2TDCi Titanium X. Yes all three vs one car. As a practical alternative the others won ;-) You'd keep the Catherham for a bit, the Nissan 350Z (or similar car) for a while longer and then the every day car you'd swap whenever. Running costs of a Mondeo vs. RS6... no contest.

A bit amusing that 50-70 in top was faster in the 2.2 diesel Mondeo I seem to recall.
But what is a 'perfect world'? - shadyarea
Common badge as it might be but a sierra cosworth (sapphire)
practical for every day use and ferrying around family,not to bad on wallet
for mpg and plenty of rear end tail when family not on board.