steering wander - sunbeam83
i have just purchased a corsa d 1.2 sxi having noticed that the steering wheel was out of alignment and the steering wandering from left to right. Took the car back to the dealership where we were advised the steering wheel had been centrilized . The cars still wandering from left to right and you cannot keep it on a straight line on the motorway the latest excuse from the dealer is its a characteristic of the new corsa . I have driven a deisel verson of this car and the steerings fine . I have contacted vauxhall customer service but there a waist of space the cars now back at dealer ship as we are refusing to drive it at 220 miles on the clock the n/sf tyre is showning signs of wear. They are adamant the steering geometry is correct .
steering wander - Statistical outlier
I take it the car is new? If so, reject it! I believe you are well within your rights to do so, a quick forum search will give you full details of how to do so.
thanks hope it does not come to grief!
steering wander - L'escargot
I had this problem (but not on a Corsa) and it turned out to be due to a characteristic of the tyres. I got all five changed under warranty. Try swapping the front wheels side to side. to see if the direction of pull changes.
i would normally have a go at that myself but as the car is new i would assume tyres would not be a issue however the problem is more of the steering trying to find centre position
rather than a pull to the right. make no mistake vauxhall no there is a problem with corsa d steering but trying every trick that a dealer does to flog you off !
steering wander - FotheringtonThomas
I second this opinion (possible tyre issue). Examine the small moulded ribs on the sidewall (what are these properly called?) just adjacent to the rim, to see whether they're "out".
steering wander - brum
I have a Corsa D club 1.3 cdti that wanders all over the place. Along with its wooden, deadband plagued steering, its very tiring on a motorway journey. I have seen several comments from other describing the the same problem.

My experience shows that if you have an factory build issue (or more likely several) with your vauxhall that doesnt actually stop it from running, you are not going to get it fixed. The dealers are trained to fob you off. "They're all like that"

Corsa - car of the year? I wonder how much of that £15 billion loss is down to GM buying good press....My review? Its a motorised dustbin on wheels....

btw anybody know if the central locking should work by turning the key in the drivers door (the only physical lock on the vehicle)?

Mine doesnt, I guess I'll just add it to the long list of problems........
steering wander - Dynamic Dave
btw anybody know if the central locking should work by turning the key in the
drivers door (the only physical lock on the vehicle)?
Mine doesnt I guess I'll just add it to the long list of problems........

I suspect it's the same system as my 2006 Vectra-C, in which case no. My earlier Vectra-C (04) did, but Vauxhall then dropped the option of the C/L working with the key in the drivers door lock on newer models. You either have to use the remote, or reach in through the passenger door and press the lock button, then close the passenger door.

It should be all documented in the handbook.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 07/08/2008 at 19:37

steering wander - Lud
The dealers are trained to fob you off. "They're all like that"

Then why the pfd are you in the pfding business of selling these pfding pieces of pfding dung, you pfding carphound?

Off the top of my head, simple adjustment of the centring of electric power steering I would think. Or perhaps not so simple, silly excessive latitude in suspension geometry perhaps resulting from human rather than robot assembly? If so, see first paragraph above.

Edited by Lud on 07/08/2008 at 22:06

steering wander - brum
Not sure what the point of Lud's post is. I'm not the kind of guy who would use bad language face to face and I'm sure it would result in nothing more than poorer service still.

All I know is my local vauxhall dealer is not interested in my opinion. The car drives OK is their opinion and as such I should go away having paid them £11,000 and leave them alone.

I, for one, will not buy a GM group car ever again and will try to discourage everyone else from buying their garbage.
disappointed to hear you have also had the same experience but having been to the dealer on 4 different visits in four days they now admit their is a problem having been told wait for this it requires a low friction steering rack / a visit from vx technical engineer / run the car 1500 miles to let the steering loosen of / and finally driven by a sensable technichan
who states its not right? its now going back next week to be evaluated by the so called engineer and if not sorted it will be jacked up there ?
I second this opinion (possible tyre issue). Examine the small moulded ribs on the sidewall
(what are these properly called?) just adjacent to the rim to see whether they're "out".

And I won't tell you again! Swap the front wheels side to side. That way you can at least eliminate (or confirm) one of the possibilities and perhaps even enable you to present a better description of the problem to your dealer.
steering wander - mike hannon
If he's just spent several thousand pounds on something designed to make him feel good, why should he get his hands dirty trying to find out why it has instantly let him down?
Reject it now!
well hows this for vauxhall/dealer service car has now been back at the dealer snip!
since the 19th august when they told us no fault with the steering. As we refused to take it back we have been without a car as no curtesy car supplied . I had a call from the dealer on tuesday the 2nd of september asking if i could authorise them to fit a low friction steering rack .I am sure we have a letter from the dealer stating theres no fault with the steering! Please note all this is black mail if i authorise the fitment then i have to take the car back beware!

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 04/09/2008 at 19:46

steering wander - mjm
Sunbeam, you stated above that the dealers have said that there is a problem. The way I see it they have written to you saying that you have to authorise the fitment of parts to a new car, supplied by them, to put it in a satisfactory condition. It is surely up to them, as the ?experts? to do what they think is necessary. This is turning into a fiasco. In your position I would be looking at legal advice to enable me to walk away and buy something else.
...... they have written to you saying that you have to authorise
the fitment of parts to a new car supplied by them to put it in
a satisfactory condition. It is surely up to them as the ?experts? to do what
they think is necessary. This is turning into a fiasco.

I suspect that Vauxhall Motors Ltd realise there is a problem on a small number of Corsas of tight steering (when new) making it difficult for the car to be held in a straight line. (I remember driving a brand new Avenger which had tight steering and which was difficult to hold in a straight line, so I can appreciate what sunbeam83's car feels like.)

One suggestion from the dealer is for sunbeam83 to drive the car for 1500 miles to see whether the problem disappears when the steering has loosened a bit. I further suspect that for customers who will not accept this solution, Vauxhall Motors have non-standard steering racks which are low-friction and hence will not feel as tight as some standard steering racks. However, I suspect that because the low-friction steering racks are non-standard the dealer needs the customer's approval before they can fit one.

Reading between the lines, this is what I suspect. However I accept that I may be wrong.

sunbeam83 ~ calmly and rationally, ask your dealer whether this is the situation. If it is, then they're probably acting in a reasonable and informed manner after all.
steering wander - Victorbox
Looks like the dealer and Vauxhall have been doing some work in the background and have now offered a reasonable solution. At least a new rack will result in the tracking etc being setup again as well (your tyre wear concern) by the dealer.
Thanks for your reply but this gets worst by the day . As i have complained to vauxhall customer services uk regarding the dealers attitude wait for this they have suggested that the car will uplifed from linwood glasow by transporter and taken to luton bedfordshire to have the steering rack replaced . But this is only a goodwill gesture on there behalf ? I am sure i have a letter stating theres no fault with the steering !