is there a breakdown service to suit me ? - steveo3002
my partner and i run 3 older cars (88,89,91) and feel i ought to have some kind of basic break down cover

not intrested in any home start or fancy ad ons , all i want is one policy that would cover both drivers and all cars in the event we break down away from home

id like a service that will tow us home and not to a garage as i do all my own repairs /maintenence

does such a service exist for sensible money?
is there a breakdown service to suit me ? - Armitage Shanks {p}
I went to www.travesupermarket.co.uk, guessed at your date of birth and found cover for you and your partner and your 3 cars for £76. This was Gem recovery and tried to fix at the roadside and recovered vehicle + 7 occupants to destination! Hope this helps!
is there a breakdown service to suit me ? - gordonbennet
Look up 'Autohome' based at Northampton.

Not the cheapest, but have their own small dedicated fleet, and a small company to boot.
is there a breakdown service to suit me ? - 1jim
Have you considered AutoAid, costs £36 a year but also covers you and your wife/husband/civil partner for

Our Services in the UK

If the vehicle that you, your legal spouse or civil partner are driving breaks down we can arrange and will reimburse for the services as shown below.

The benefits and services apply to ANY breakdown, which occurs during the period of insurance and within the territorial limits

Emergency Roadside Repairs

We will arrange help at the scene of the breakdown and will arrange and reimburse any call-out fees and labour charges needed to start the vehicle.

Recovery of the vehicle and its passengers

If the vehicle cannot be repaired at the scene of the breakdown, we will arrange and reimburse any reasonable cost of taking the vehicle, you and up to 5 passengers from the place where the vehicle has broken down to anyone place you choose.

Home Breakdowns

If the vehicle breaks down at your home or within one mile of your home, we will arrange help and reimburse any call-out fees and labour charges needed to start the vehicle. If the vehicle cannot be repaired quickly at the scene of the breakdown, we will reimburse the reasonable cost of taking the vehicle to the nearest available garage. The maximum reimbursement under this benefit ONLY is £65.

Alternative Travel or Emergency Overnight Hotel Accommodation

If a vehicle breaks down while it is more than 25 miles from your home, and it cannot be repaired at the roadside or at a garage during the same day, and is not recovered to your home or destination, we will refund the cost of onward travel arrangements or necessary emergency overnight accommodation.

We will reimburse for the following:

alternative road, rail or air travel for you and your party to reach your destination and for one person to return to collect the vehicle; or

one night's hotel accommodation for you and up to 5 passengers. (The amount we will refund will only be for the rooms. We will not pay for meals or drinks.)

Before you arrange emergency travel or accommodation, you must call the Rescue Control Centre for their agreement. We will only refund amounts covered by this insurance if we receive valid invoices and receipts.

Caravans and trailers

If your vehicle breaks down, any attached caravan or small trailer will be entitled to the same service as the vehicle as long as it's attached to the vehicle by a standard 50 millimetre (2 inch) towing coupling.

Theft or Vandalism

If the vehicle is stolen and recovered, or cannot be driven as a result of damage caused by vandalism, we will refund the cost of taking the vehicle to your home address or to a repairer of your choice.

Toll Authority Fees

If the breakdown occurs in a Toll authority area, we will refund the cost of any Toll authority vehicle used to recover the vehicle.

Message Service

If your vehicle breaks down and help is arranged by the Rescue Control Centre, they can contact your family or colleagues to let them know about the situation.

This is a pay and claim system where you can either arrange your own recovery or get call centre to do it, you pay operator directly and then claim it back from Autoaid. I have used these for a couple of yrs and not had to claim yet but is great value for me and the wife. Came across it on moneysavingexpert.com where it gets great reviews and the turnaround for repayment appears to be less than a week (although on its website says its around 10days) my plan for any breakdown is to pay on creditcard and claim it back before the bill arrives.

its website is here www.autoaidbreakdown.co.uk/index.htm

hope its of some use
Jim
the autoaid does sound suitable if theres no catches

so if i break down away from home they can arrange a local firm to come and get us?

i'll look into it
also...cant find confirmation on the site about the partner being included and any limits on the cars covered
is there a breakdown service to suit me ? - nick
I have had Autoaid for several years. My wife is on the policy for the same premium. No restrictions on ages or numbers of cars. You are covered, not the car. They call the nearest breakdown service to where you are. You'll find that it's usually the same one used by most of the breakdown services that don't own their own fleet of vehicles. If it can't be fixed there and then, they'll either take you home, all the way with no changing of vehicles as sometime happens with the big two, or to a garage. Your choice.
I've used them a couple of times when an old classic has let me down and no quibbles. Paid the guy with a card, filled in the simple form and the money was sent a few days later.
I'd highly recommend them.
is there a breakdown service to suit me ? - 007
The paperwork which I have from Autoaid reads 'You or your legally married spouse'. Admittedly this document was issued in Dec. 2004 but may still apply. Best to check it with them on 01277 235500. After all, Autoaid is a branch of an Insurance Company and insurance companies have been known to turn down claims from clients who have invalidated their policy by incorrect declaration of their circumstances.
well we are not married so i guess its a no no

although are they gona check over phone for i.d or marrige certificate if she called em

or i spose if g/f broke down , she could call me and i make the call to autoaid
is there a breakdown service to suit me ? - 1jim
I am sure that it still is legal spouse www.autoaidbreakdown.co.uk/works01.htm under the Our service in the UK header. www.moneysavingexpert.com/insurance/roadside-recov...g gives you more details and compares others but as I have said we have been with these for a few yrs due to cost (less than £40 for cover for 2cars) with good reviews seems hard to resist, not had to claim yet but others seem to not have had any problems. might be worth popping over to moneysavingexpert.com and seeing motoring forum and asking for some advise from people who have had to claim and see if they have had to prove marriage status for any claims