2006 2.0 Clutch failing on 13000 mile Galaxy - Jack Regan
Hi,

I had to call out the AA yesterday as my new shape Galaxy started belching out smoke from the bonnet in traffic. Diagnosis was clutch burn, which would right itself once cooled down.
Car has been parked overnight, but upon driving a short distance, the horrrible burning clutch smell is still present, despite the clutch itself feeling fine with plenty of bite.

Any ideas how much it would cost to replace the clutch ? Or could there be another problem ?

Cheers
2006 2.0 Clutch failing on 13000 mile Galaxy - Screwloose

The wonderful aroma of cooked clutch is very pervasive and will take quite a while to disappear - no matter what is changed.

Were you slipping the clutch in the traffic? On such a heavy car, it won't last very long if used like that - these are not the asbestos clutches of old.
2006 2.0 Clutch failing on 13000 mile Galaxy - Jack Regan
Well,to tell the whole truth, it was my good wife who was driving, so I can only presume she was holding the car at bite throughout the traffic jam. As the clutch "feels" ok now, am I right to presume that it shouldn't need replacing, and the smell will in fact go after a few days ?

Cheers for the reply
2006 2.0 Clutch failing on 13000 mile Galaxy - Screwloose

Ahh, I see; perhaps you could book her a few sessions at Clutch-Riders Anonymous....

Cooked clutches can recover OK; but the linings will certainly be significantly degraded, so don't expect stellar longevity from it.
2006 2.0 Clutch failing on 13000 mile Galaxy - Ian Clark
I have just experienced the same problem on a 2005 Galaxy - right down to the fact that my wife was driving the car at the time, and that a day later, the smell is still terrible. How did you get on? Did you end up replacing the clutch in the end, or is it still going? And how long did the smell last??
2006 2.0 Clutch failing on 13000 mile Galaxy - Rattle
Might be a different type of clutch but I cooked mine a couple of weeks ago, and it just slipped all the way back home. I left the car for a week and its been fine now though I will know for sure after I have used it more. If the clutch had cooked itself so much that you could see smoke surely damage has been done to the friction plate? At the very least your wife has probably shortened the life of the clutch even if its still ok.