Correcting the Police computer - davidh
Hi All,

Got pulled over today and my new (to me) car appears to have been driven by a bad boy before I bought it.

Got to sit in the back of a plain clothes souped up vectra which was pretty cool (anyone in the Keighley area will know of 'em)

Everything with me checked out fine, police polite etc etc and I was soon on my way.

I asked the officers if the record against my car could be wiped off the computer to avoid me getting pulled all the time. His answer was "will see what we can do" which left me with the impression that its either not all that easy and I will get pulled again or it just wont actually be altered.

I'm guessing that each "history" against a reg number has a line or two of text for notes so I dont know wether the updated info will be added to the notes or the record completely deleted.

Dont want to think that my car will light up the screen of any traffic car I pass.

Could anyone give me an idea as to what most likely will happen to the police record?

Not bothered about being pulled - its just going to be waste of everyones time.

Thanks in advance!
Correcting the Police computer - retgwte
well for a starter you can put a freedom of information act request into the DVLA, that police force, the home office, the Met

and ask for all info on their computers about you and your car

do a google on how to frame these letters, pretty easy

you can make a formal complaint to the police about being stopped and false information apparently being held on their computers, send registered delivery to chief constable copy to inspector of constabulary and the Information Commissioner's Office

bit of persistence may pay off

however your reg plates may have been copied onto another car which is up to no good, in which case you will be snookered through no fault of your own, as they will need to keep the stop flag against that reg number

Correcting the Police computer - Pugugly
They will be exempted from providing FOI in respect of this sort data. How long have you had the car ? This data (if it is criminal intell type stuff) will be weeded off as soon as the V5 transfer takes place. It could be that the information flagged up from a Police owned (non DVLA) Intelligence database. If that's the case you're going to have to write in to tell them. There is a fair chance that the Officers who stopped you will have updated the databases as they don't want the hassle of stopping spurious flags.
Thanks chaps,

Well, I've had the car 4 weeks now. Its an 11 month old ex-hire car and the officer told me that a previous driver (probably one of many the car will have had as ex-hire) had no license.

Obviously dont know the circumstances of how the culprit was stopped.

Just no idea how this imformation will be treated. I told the officer that I had just bought it 4 weeks ago and I have the V5 in my name. Seemed happy enough with the circumstances.

Cautionary note: ex-hire cars can be driven by all sorts! :-)

I guess I will have to wait and see. I'm pretty good at spotting police cars so I'll have to see what happens next.
Correcting the Police computer - Pugugly
Best to search them thoroughly as well - as a very unhappy (but law abiding) client of mine found out.
Correcting the Police computer - retgwte
not coninced your 100% correct there PU

Correcting the Police computer - Fullchat
To try to keep things simple. There are two databases. The first database is the PNC (Police National Computer). In respect of vehicles it is linked to DVLA and provides information re ownership, tax, MOT and Insurance. Markers which have weed dates and are short lived can be put on eg driver details required by an inquiry officer. The other side of PNC is the 'Persons' which holds such details as persons wanted, criminal convictions, court process, disqualification and Driving Licence details.

If checked by the Police two checks should be made - one against 'Vehicles' and one against 'Persons'. I am not aware that a 'Vehicle' check will show up any other details about the driver other than ownership. Thats why two seperate checks are required. PNC is a national system.

The second system comes under different names but is basically a local intelligence system. Now this system throws up information either way, in other words check a car and it will throw up any intelligence that has been submitted eg drivers, other users, use in crime etc. Check a person and it will throw up associates, vehicles used, access to vehicles plus a whole host of other information which is fed by Officers on the ground.

The second system is only local to its host Force - think Soham.

The second system can be uploaded into ANPR. The system is only as reliable as the information it is fed.

Officers doing a thorough job should check all databases because of the different types of information held.

Much infomation held by the Police is granted an exemption from disclosure under the F of IA 2000 as it falls under 'Law Enforcement'(Sec 31).

Having been stopped and a link made to your vehicle which was wrong the Officer should submit an intelligence report which amends the information on the local system and the previous users name with all its baggage will no longer be connected to the vehicle. The Police are duty bound to ensure hat information held is as accurate as possible.

Edited by Fullchat on 01/08/2008 at 02:05

Thanks for that. Some very interesting insight to the workings of the system.

Cheers,

D
Correcting the Police computer - Optimist
Well, I've had the car 4 weeks now. Its an 11 month old ex-hire car and the officer told me that a previous driver (probably one of many the car will have had as ex-hire) had no license. >>

Is this a nonsense explanation from the officer?

What's the point of flagging up the details of a hire car on the PNC since the wanted individual is fairly unlikely to hire it again?

And how did the criminal hirer manage to hire it without a licence?
Correcting the Police computer - midlifecrisis
The problem with PNC is that so many reports get put on it, that should never be there. Officers young in service do it, because they see it as another 'action' they can tick on their crime reports. Overloaded supervisors just can't check every one that gets put on.

They are easy enough to remove. An update will (should) have been put on the vehicle report straight away and the Force that originally placed the marker should then remove it.

(Just cross your fingers it wasn't The Met that put the report on, because they are utterly useless where PNC markers are concerned)
And how did the criminal hirer manage to hire it without a licence?

I wondered that.

All I can think is that someone hired it legit and then some one else "borrowed" it whilst it was under hire. Maybe said borrower got himself flashed by a speed camera and the original hirer wouldnt wear the 3 points or the 60 pounds when the fine for the speeding filtered through and dobbed the guy in. Borrower mustnt have had a license I reckon.

The police did say "well, the car has been rather busy" which worried me a little but I'm comforted that theres a good chance that the records will be updated.
Correcting the Police computer - Westpig
some crooks will hire a car, either on a dodgy licence or get a mate to do it...then commit a load of crime etc, sometimes failing to return the hire car

local police might spot the oik driving it, but not be in a position to stop them..or car is seen via cctv, either at the time or later when the crime itself is being investigated..etc

by putting on the marker any future crime committed might give the officers dealing with it half a chance of catching the thief, by knowing where the vehicle might be heading, etc

usually such a marker should be 'weeded' after a set time period and the info then deleted....but, like many large bureaucratic organisations, that doesn't always happen when it should do