No smoking please - skorpio
What causes a brand new diesel car to smoke under any acceleration?

My father in law has bought a Renault Modus and it smokes like a cross channel ferry!

I once saw the same thing on a brand new Focus a few years back. It's so bad I reckon he could get stopped by plod.
No smoking please - cjehuk
Any number of things including putting your foot down hard and the computer not controlling the urge (overfuelling), soot collecting in the exhaust due to mostly gentle driving then a burst of rapid acceleration, labouring the engine (high load wih no turbo boost) etc...
No smoking please - DP
It's odd - we have a 54,000 mile Renault dCi which doesn't smoke at all apart from the faintest puff when you snap the accelerator to the floor. Even then, it's only for a fraction of a second. I would expect a newer version to be no worse.

I've followed our car when being absolutely caned, and really it isn't at all smoky. This is a Euro III model without any form of particulate filter.

Maybe the fact that it rarely does short journeys and tends to get its rev range explored on a fairly regular basis helps.

Cheers
DP
No smoking please - rtj70
My previous Mondeo TDCi (Euro IV but no DPF) only smoked badly when it had a problem with the EGR valve. A new car should not have an EGR problem but it sounds like it's smoking and perhaps it should not.

For piece of mind take it back?
No smoking please - grumpyscot
My Dad's Golf Diesel did this until we gave it an italian tune up - not only did it stop smoking, but he got an extra 3 miles to the gallon!

Edited by grumpyscot on 31/07/2008 at 07:44

No smoking please - skorpio
My Dad's Golf Diesel did this until we gave it an italian tune up -
not only did it stop smoking but he got an extra 3 miles to the
gallon!

Father in law does a lot of driving in the city as a surveyor. I guess it isnt being thrashed that often so maybe I'll tell him to drive like Fangio for a mile or so and clear his pipes out!