1994 1.9 Diesel losing power - kssbcm
I wonder if some-one could help me. I am a disabled person with a Citroen ZX diesel when I was coming home from a long trip the other day my car started losing power on the motorway. LIke spluttering. The fuel tank was at 3/4 full and no other apparent problems.

A friend of mine suggested that I should get the Fuel filter and the Cam belt changed so I went ahead with his advise but after spending £160 on it the problem is still there infact it seems to be worse.

The problem seems to be intermitent and usually at spends of around 65mph - 70mph although it does it more when traveling up hill.

I have to keep putting my foot to the floor in hopes that it will pick up power. but because of my disability it has now made me very nervous and in mid August I have an Holiday planned.

Can anyone with good knowledge suggest what the problem could be please?
Thank you in Anticipation

1994 1.9 Diesel losing power - Screwloose

The fuel filter was a good idea - but the cam-belt??

As this seems to be only at high-load; then things like the air filter and a blocked exhaust come to mind.
Thank You for your assistance I will try a new airfilter as I dont know how to check if the Exhaust has any blockages

In reference to the cam belt My friend said that if it was worn the timing could be out and that the belt needc changing every 50,000 and last time it was done was around 60,000 He also said that if the belt broke my engine would be no good so I aired on the side of caution. I will let you know if there are any differences when changing the Air Filter once again thank you
1994 1.9 Diesel losing power - Peter.N.
He was right about the danger of cambelt failure, it will severly damage the engine if it does, but a worn cambelt won't appreciably affect the timing. Fuel filter would have been my first suggestion as the problem dounds like fuel supply restriction, I would suspect either an air leak or a restriction. Check all the connections and also the filter on the pick up pipe in the tank.
Hi there,
I changed the air filter, which was extremly dirty all new now but doesn't appear to resolved the problem. Still losing power.

I have looked around the car underneath there are not leaks and no loss of fuel
any other suggestions please let me know
once again thanks
1994 1.9 Diesel losing power - Peter.N.
Try parking the car on a steep downward slope so that the fuel tank is above the engine, leave it for a while and then look for fuel leaks from the fuel pipe connections under the bonnet. Another possibility is that the vent hole in the fuel filler cap has become blocked, next time it does it try undoing the fuel cap and see if that cures it. If not, as I said previously, check the filter on the fuel pick up pipe in the tank.
What wonderful help the people on this site are, Peter N your a Star and the others that tried to help. The problem now appears to be fixed. The resulting promlem was with the filler cap. It has now been fixed and a run down the Motorway sown no signs of power loss. I will keep my fingers crossed but Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, Thank you,Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, Thank you,Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, Thank you,Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, Thank you,

You haqve probably saved me a fortune with the things I have managed to do myself with the help of others on this site

Once again Peter N Your a Star