2000 1.9 DW one cylinder not firing on cold start. - deslaugh
could any one shed some light...
306 1.9 DW starts ok when cold but running on three cylinders till driven for a few min's.
then runs and idols fine and steady. All four fire from warm starts. seams to run. I had a 1.9 XUD before and note this engine temp is a bit higher :shown as 80 deg cel at 2500 rev cruse.
Highish miles (150K) and don't know much history as we have reciently aquired it. Hope i haven't found a clunker!

2000 1.9 DW one cylinder not firing on cold start. - Screwloose

What colour of smoke comes out at a cold start? Does it use water? Have you had the compressions checked?
2000 1.9 DW one cylinder not firing on cold start. - tonymuso
sounds like it might be a glow plug problem if it's only from cold. Try activating the pre-heat system and waiting for the glow plug light to go out 3 times before cranking. If it improves, it's almost certainly glow-plug failure.
thanks for replys. i had been hoping on glow plug problem but multi heating trick had no effect. Also i understood the glow plugs were just to get one cylinder to fire: the rest just follow due to the compressing from the energy of the previous combustion. I have always replaced all the plugs at the same time as I interpreted inefectual heating as them all failing.

Ive now read other treads on testing plugs and will make further investigations. That said, i also plan to get the compressions tested as i'm a bit pesimistic. I had previously dissmissed the non/poor working AC as an unrelated and un-nessisary repair. However im not thinking the connection could be shody coolant servicing. Should i explore AC to look for corosion and poor cooling? I would expect head gasget problems if this were the case but no apparent water loss and no mayo in the oil cap.

cold start smoke is the puff of black/ grey then clear

Whats the damage if compressions test is poor? new engine?

In advance, thanks for your time. Im impressed with the level of knoladge and willingness to share. more power to you!
2000 1.9 DW one cylinder not firing on cold start. - Screwloose

No smoke when on three might suggest air getting into the pump overnight? Has the primer perished?
I like the cut of your jib!

hadn't thought of that, and would be lovely and cheep to do.
Car is out at the mo but will have a look and try priming befor i start it tomorrow.

thanks again for the wisdom and the sharing!
2000 1.9 DW one cylinder not firing on cold start. - stevegee
Glow plug.
Classic symptom as heat from dead cylinder is absorbed back into head/alloy.
I just had glow plugs replaced and I understand they are on condition.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 10/08/2008 at 13:07

2000 1.9 DW one cylinder not firing on cold start. - Peter.N.
Pardon my ignorance, but what is a 1.9 DW? I thought they were either XUD or HDI.
2000 1.9 DW one cylinder not firing on cold start. - dieselhead
It's a non turbo development of PSA's indirect injection XUD used in very late 306's, 206's and Partner vans etc.
I would slacken injector union's half a turn , in turn to locate the misfiring cylinder. Then check glow plug ,valve clearance on that cylinder .. then have injectors serviced if that doesn't clear the fault.