Vauxhall 2.2 petrol engine - any views ? - Alby Back
Still toying with various thoughts on an addition to the stable. Bit out of touch these days with petrol engines. However, given the reduction in the cost gap I could be persuaded to look at petrol again. Car would be put to work and would do a highish mileage and needs to have a minimum of 1400 litres of loadspace. Probably mainstream to keep costs sensible. So, looking at ( another ) Mondeo estate or Vectra estate / Signum to run alongside ageing Mondeo estate as backup / potential successor.

Seems, on paper at least, that the GM 2.2 petrol engine combines a good blend of reasonable frugality with performance.

Any views, thoughts or experiences ?
Vauxhall 2.2 petrol engine - any views ? - midlifecrisis
I had a Vectra 2.2 Direct. Cracking, reliable engine that gives mid-high thirties mpg fuel economy. It doesn't have any reported problems that I'm aware of.

Never had any problems with mine whatsoever.
Vauxhall 2.2 petrol engine - any views ? - daveyjp
A neighbour had the 2.2 direct. Good on long runs considering the engine size, round town not the case - low to mid 20s.
Vauxhall 2.2 petrol engine - any views ? - gordonbennet
HB, i find the 2.2 petrols very torquey and smooth, couldn't comment on reliability etc.

Can you really cope with the Vaux interiors though, so dark and gloomy, acres of black plastic, and even the top of range VXR vectra still no better, surely they could have done better than this, and the Saabs seem very bland inside too, all my opinion of course.

Having said that, the vectra estate is huge, and with the longer wheel base, would i suppose be very comfortable, but does appear suited to undertakers duties in black-;)

Just a thought here, as you do such a high mileage, and seem to keep your cars for a considerable time, would a LPG conversion be a good prospect for you, in which case it would be pertinant to see which vehicles convert well, and have a large enough spare wheel well to give reasonable mileage without losing your load space.
I know Vauxhall had many dual fuel vectras, most were 1.8, but maybe worth a look around for a 2.2?
Or indeed any other pre converted vehicles whilst you are on the lookout.
Vauxhall 2.2 petrol engine - any views ? - Dynamic Dave
Main reported problem with the early ones was potential camchain failure because of an inadequate lubrication nozzle.

HJ mentions this in his C-B-C-B, as well as "Ignition control unit of 2.2 petrol engine is prone to burning out" - but I've not seen mention of that one on any of the Vauxhall forums I look at.

In case you weren't aware, there is also a dedicated forum for the Z22SE engine:-
www.z22se.co.uk/forum/index.php
Thanks for the replies so far. Seems encouraging enough to investigate further. Though as a sworn Fordist it will take a deepish breath !

Hadn't really considered the LPG route GB but again worthy of some research. Wonder if an ST220 would convert.......

Had a 1.8 Vectra estate on hire a couple of years ago and while it was indeed comfortable I felt it was just a bit underpowered when laden as fully as my cars normally are. Hence the musing re the 2.2. Really am prejudiced in favour of chain cams so it ticks that box too.

Hmmmm.......
Vauxhall 2.2 petrol engine - any views ? - Victorbox
"Though as a sworn Fordist" C'mon! It's time to come over from the Dark Side!
Vauxhall 2.2 petrol engine - any views ? - De Smythe
Along with Dynamic Dave I like to pop up and extol the virtues of the 2.2i engine every time someone asks.

One of Vauxhalls sweetest and robust engines (along with the 2.0i 8v) it has bags of torque across the band and really there is no need to rev above 4K. It will also do 40 mpg on a run if you are sympathetic with the loud pedal, although don't expect anywhere near this around town. In the 3 years I had my Astra it was faultless and did not miss one single beat. If any cam chains were snapped it was on the early engines and any mods should have been completed under warranty long ago.

Gripes? It is (or was) mated to a clunky 5 speed gearbox that cried out for a 6th gear above 70mph. Not saying the distance of throw between gears was long either, but sometimes I thought it would be quicker to catch bus to get from 2nd to 3rd.
Vauxhall 2.2 petrol engine - any views ? - jbif
It is (or was) mated to a clunky 5 speed gearbox that cried out for a 6th gear

6 speed gearbox is fitted nowadays [done a quick check but cannot see since when in HJ's car-by-car].

Another advantage [again which is NOT clear from HJ's car-by-car] is that the 2.2 Direct petrol engine is CO2 rated at a "modest" 180 g/km for a 2.2 litre engine.

That means VED, currently at £170, goes up to £205 from 1 April 2009, and to £210 from 1st April 2010.

VED rates from www.parkers.co.uk/cars/road-tax/?deriv=31793

Vauxhall 2.2 petrol engine - any views ? - Dynamic Dave
the 2.2 Direct petrol engine is CO2 rated at a "modest" 180 g/km for a 2.2 litre engine.
That means VED currently at £170

£210 if you've got the auto-box. Which unfortunately I have.
Well now, I have based upon the above, just bought a Signum Design 2.2 direct manual. 53 plate with 34k for just south of £5k. Immaculate with fsh. Newly serviced and 12 month MOT. Test drove it this morning and really liked it. You are of course all to blame if it turns out to be a bad move but I am, so far, very happy ! Thanks for all the advice.

Report to follow in a couple of weeks.
Vauxhall 2.2 petrol engine - any views ? - Pugugly
Good find - I've always been strangely attracted to the Signum concept since it came out, sounds like a bargain, to some though its an acquired taste, bit like a Roomster, Marmite or Man Crocs. Enjoy it. What colour is it ?
Silver with black half lth interior. Chav glass ( standard ) on the back windows. Oh and a fridge ! ( Hic ) Has a cassette as well as multi cd so the old John Lee Hooker tapes will be dug out for long night runs.

Goes like heck by comparison to the diesel Mondy BTW

;-)
Strangely BBC 24 now this minute were interviewing "doggy" Blunkett - bearing in mind their relative rareness, there was a silver one with privacy glass parked up behind him - doubt whether it was his though.

Edited by Pugugly on 26/07/2008 at 17:18

What are you trying to say PU ? That it would appeal most to those who qualify for a guide dog !? ( If so please rearrange pot, kettle, black, roomster etc. ) !

;-)
I'd have one and have publically declared it here - The Roomie isn't ugly, its "special".
Only kidding PU, I think the Skoda is "kinda cool" actually. I have seen "that" E-mail too though re "special" !

Quite excited in a grumpy old cynical sort of way. Pick it up on Tuesday. Will probably keep the bulletproof Mondy as well but retire it to lighter duties. Unless there is a caring home for it somewhere. Couldn't bear to see it become a mini cab.

;-)
Vauxhall 2.2 petrol engine - any views ? - midlifecrisis
Any problems scoot over to Vectra-C.com.
I have seen "that" E-mail too though re "special" !

A Social Worker (in Court) once said that on oath about the little darling who'd burnt down a cottage.
Thanks again especially for the useful links. I trust I won't need them as it will of course run perfectly and without trouble for the foreseeable future.........Won't it ?..........
Now for the trivial aside. Having commited to the Signum. I calculate that despite the closure of the gap between petrol and diesel prices that my annual fuel costs will now increase by +/- £1000 due to my highish mileage. That's OK I can cope with that. However, as my dear wife quite correctly points out, were I to quit smoking I would save the thick end of £2000 a year. Therefore net gain on combustibles of £1000.

Soooo, on Tuesday, I will attempt to part company for the last time with Phillip Morris's finest red tops. A relationship which has lasted these thirty years and more.

Will make occasional reference to progress on this in conjuction to Signum updates. I expect a fair degree of petulance may creep into the odd post in the short term so I apologise in advance for that !