Breakdown cover, too much choice! - legacylad
I volunteered to sort breakdown cover for grrlfriends youngest daughter, the proud owner of a '97 Ka. I have been blinded by all the different choices.
Do any BR's have any recommendations...she requires Homestart and will not be venturing far from home.
Thanks in anticipation

Edited by Pugugly on 24/07/2008 at 13:23

Breakdown cover, too much choice! - nick
Discussed many times before so a forum search may help. I recommend Autoaid from Boncaster. You pay the recovery guy and claim it back. I've been with them for years, claimed twice than I can remember and had no problems. Money back within a few days. Very low premiums.
Breakdown cover, too much choice! - oldnotbold
Green Flag - a chum runs a ten-truck car/van recovery business, and they are the ones he suggests.
Breakdown cover, too much choice! - leef
'97 Ka. I have been blinded by all the different choices.
Do any BR's have any recommendations...she requires Homestart and will not be venturing far from
home.
Thanks in anticipation

I've done all the research for you!
AA = £108
RAC = £102
Greenflag = £110.25 (based on a ford ka 1997 1.3) being used 6 days a week with anual milage between 10,000 and 15,000.

They all include Homestart and long distance relay.....

Took me 2 minutes to go to each website and get a price.

Lee
Breakdown cover, too much choice! - BazzaBear {P}
Euop Assistance, if booked through quotelinedirect, is £59. This includes all the top options which you'd get from others, AND european cover.

I realise the european cover isn't relevant in this case, but it's cheaper anyway.
Breakdown cover, too much choice! - jlo
Hi,

Autoaid www.autoaidbreakdown.co.uk £36 for comprehensive cover. The only thing is she will have to pay for recovery and then claim back. As long as she has a credit card this could be a cheap alternitive. Also google GEM as they do a similar scheme.

Cheers

Jlo
Breakdown cover, too much choice! - rtj70
"Green Flag - a chum runs a ten-truck car/van recovery business, and they are the ones he suggests"

The friend would suggest Green Flag - don't they use some third parties for recovery, like him ;-)

Not knocking Grren Flag and if this is the best price double check Tesco as they use Green Flag and can be cheaper again.

Edited by rtj70 on 24/07/2008 at 21:33

Breakdown cover, too much choice! - oldnotbold
"The friend would suggest Green Flag - don't they use some third parties for recovery, like him "

He does work for all the major recovery/breakdown cos., so he's got an all-round view. He knows how each of the companies treats its customers as he and his team are the ones that have to pick them up. He reckons that GF are better at managing their resources, which include loads of companies like his, than the others. He worked for the RAC for about five years before he bought a struggling two-truck firm about ten years ago.
Breakdown cover, too much choice! - drbe
Which? magazine today says that the AA is the best.
Breakdown cover, too much choice! - ajsdoc
Another thumbs up for autoaid, very good value and I've had good service.
Breakdown cover, too much choice! - leef
Which? magazine today says that the AA is the best.

"J.D.Power and Associates awarded the RAC for ranking the highest in satisfying emergency roadside assistance customers in 2007, this is the second consecutive year the RAC has held this title." - Wikipedia

I've been with them all over the last 13 years, and to be honest there isn't much difference in level of service I have recieved, I switch every year to whoever will give me the best price for what I want. I managed to get RAC down to £68 last year from £96 quoted. Never hurts to ask them ;)

Lee
Breakdown cover, too much choice! - Paddler Ed
I used to be with Morethan and had no problems with them; I've now switched to the manufacturer's own, £85pa for the full whack of RAC cover. Not a problem getting it either for an 8yo car with 196k on it as it's all main dealer serviced.
Breakdown cover, too much choice! - nick
Another good point with Autoaid is it covers the driver, not the car.
Breakdown cover, too much choice! - movilogo
I found that companies who sub-contract to local recovery agents are cheaper and faster to respond than those who use their own dedicated fleet (like RAC/AA)

Recently I heard a lot of complaint about AA for the time they take to arrive. RAC is bit faster. But Autoaid is the cheapest and probably most praised.

Most manufacturers based recovery [within warranty period] tend to use local companies.
Breakdown cover, too much choice! - drbe
sq

Which? magazine results are based on 11,000 actual call-out experiences.

They found that AA got to motorists in less than 30 minutes 45% of the time.
The RAC got to motorists in less than 30 minutes 41% of the time.
The other organisations figures are:- Britannia 36%; Direct Line 41%; Mondial 24%; Green Flag 38%;
More Than 29%; Europ Assistance 21%.

Edited by Pugugly on 25/07/2008 at 18:29

Breakdown cover, too much choice! - ifithelps
What about combined car insurance and breakdown cover?

One payment, one company to deal with, one renewal date, etc.

I keep on threatening to do it, but currently the car ins runs out in August and the breakdown cover in December.

I'm too mean to loose four months of breakdown cover and too lazy to attempt to claim it back.
Breakdown cover, too much choice! - NowWheels
What about combined car insurance and breakdown cover?

My car is insured with the Co-operative Insurance service (CIS), and I have breakdown cover through them for fifty-something quid a year. Much cheaper than the AA etc, and best of all it's cover for the car rather than for the driver ... my my other named drivers are covered, which they wouldn't be with the AA or RAC unless I paid a lot extra (over £120 from the checks I did).
I'm too mean to loose four months of breakdown cover

At the prices I was quoted, it would have paid to lose a lot more than 4 months AA or RAC cover
Breakdown cover, too much choice! - Dulwich Estate
Legacylad - This one's for you -

I've just renewed breakdown cover for one of our fleet with Tesco. We want UK cover only but including attendance at home. One of the regular drivers doesn't have a credit card so AutoAid doesn't really work.

I went through most of the sites and found Tesco are doing Green Flag cover at 30% off until sometime in September.

Green Flag wanted £79 which was Tesco's first price. Using the offer I paid £55, that's even less than the £59 renewal with quoteline direct. OK, quoteline includes euro cover at the £59 price, but I don't need it for this car.

Edited by Dulwich Estate on 28/07/2008 at 17:08