"Any old iron?" - oilrag
Shouted through a hand held tannoy as a tipper based Transit motored slowly past this PM.

When did you last hear that? Up here in the North, it was around 50 years ago and it was a bloke with a horse and waggon. Yep, exactly as seen on `Steptoe`.

Must be the scrap values..
"Any old iron?" - Pugugly
Sign of the times - guess that the Transit is he new Hercules as well, Oil Drum Lane has some irony in these times !

Edited by Pugugly on 23/07/2008 at 15:37

"Any old iron?" - moonshine {P}

round our way we have started to get leaflets asking for any scrap metal. I guess with the prices being high its worth collecting again.
"Any old iron?" - Lud
When I was a child in Bath in the early to middle forties a horse and cart used to trudge past once a week or so with its rough old driver gloomily shouting what sounded to my inexperienced ear something like 'HAP... HO!'. I asked my mother what he meant. 'Rag and bone', she explained. After that I listened more carefully, but the shout of 'hap... ho!' didn't change.

Ragpicking and bone and glass collecting and processing, combined with totting, was quite a numerous profession in the 19th century in big cities. It offered independence and a more interesting life than the workhouse for those on the fringes of society. Perhaps it will make a comeback when our societies stop playing at recycling and do it properly.
"Any old iron?" - Pugugly
Alive and well in the states, I noticed a well dressed couple scouring the bins in a "mall" for used aluminium drinks cans. Probably mortgaged with Fanny Mae !
"Any old iron?" - Alby Back
We have a guy with a handcart collecting round here but then we are "oop north" I suppose.
any old iron - Lud
Of course in big third world cities there are whole communities of rubbish-sifters who live in the vast rubbish dumps to be found in some of them. There's one by the lagoon on Lagos Island in Nigeria, or there used to be. The lagoon itself smells strongly of sewage, and when the wind is in the wrong direction the pong permeates the terraces of the posh hotels in Ikoyi, but the rubbish dump itself doesn't smell bad, everything perishable having been removed at an early stage and probably fed to animals or burned. The people who live in it have a distinctive style and appearance, as if they were members of some special human sub-species.

It is seldom noted that large third world cities in many ways are socially similar to European cities in the 19th century. They are in another time as well as another place.

Edited by Lud on 23/07/2008 at 16:23

any old iron - Roger Jones
Lud, I applaud your exquisitely correct use of a troublesome word: "a numerous profession".
"Any old iron?" - Lud
On the matter of street traders and their incomprehensible cries, I only understand about half of the random shouts the fruit-and-veg stallholders give in Portobello Road round the corner. Heaven knows what the French, Italian and other foreign shoppers make of them. But I treasure the memory of a stallholder I heard once bawling, and muttering, at the variegated passing throng: '...anyone want a NICE APPLE, you've got a LOVELY PEAR!' I didn't spot who he meant, but the choice is often agreeably wide in the summer months.
"Any old iron?" - L'escargot
round our way we have started to get leaflets asking for any scrap metal.

Same here.
"Any old iron?" - Paddler Ed
I work as a youth worker, and one of the lads that I work with has an encyclopedic knowledge of what every part of a car is worth, and which ones are worth the most for scrap.

Anything with a Cat is worth about £25 more for the metals in that
Anything with an iron block is worth a touch more as well due to the weight of the block
Alloy wheels are worth a bit more as well
Land Rover bodies are worth as much as the chassis
Volvo/Merc/Saab are worth a bit more due to the weight of them

He'll go out scrapping and knock on peoples doors if there's a car in the garden with an expired tax disc, offer them some money and then drag it off on the Transit
"Any old iron?" - Manatee
The last one I saw, as a youth, was equipped with horse and cart. This was around the time when a phone call from a box cost 4d, and the 'pop' wagon came round once week.

The old custom giving low value novelties in return for old clothes and furniture accounts for the expression still used by the local motor dealers referring to unattractive part exchanges, "...it's worth about two balloons and a goldfish".
"Any old iron?" - Alby Back
"...it's worth about two balloons and a goldfish".

Sounds like my car !

;-)
"Any old iron?" - mike hannon
In about 1955 I was taken to visit my great-aunt in Plymouth. While I was there the rag-and-bone man came round with a horse and cart and stopped outside the block of flats where she lived. I can remember women rushing out with bits and pieces of clothes that they exchanged for clay (tobacco) pipes. Am I really that old?
"Any old iron?" - mike hannon
And I've just remembered a rag and bone man with a motor van used sometimes to wait at the primary school gate so we would pester our mothers to give him something in exchange for a goldfish. That must have been about the same time, certainly no later than about 1958.
"Any old iron?" - SteVee
I lived in a southern village and can remember the rag & bone men with their horse and cart. Knife Sharpeners also - are they back yet ?

There are a few cars (in gardens/driveways) round my way with notes on saying
"Not For Sale - This car is NOT Scrap" (or similar).
"Any old iron?" - OldSock
Or maybe a 'donkey stone' for whitening the edge of your doorstep....
"Any old iron?" - sierraman
There are loads of them going around here,they have already pinched an old set of alloys from behind my shed.When I first came to Leeds an old guy said to me 'they'll have t'milk out of your tea round here',which is why I only drink black coffee.
"Any old iron?" - Dog
Well, thanks to this thread, I've remembered something I'd completely forgotten about ... I used to go "totting" with my m8 Phil with his dad's orsen cart around S. E London in the early 60's when I should ave been at skool (but had better things 2 do)
What a way to travel - clipperty clop, clipperty clop, clipperty clop.
"Any old iron?" - DP
I remember these guys doing the rounds once a fortnight or so when I was a kid (late 70's to mid 80's). Dad had a shed clearout and had a load of old car bits, batteries and so on, plus a 2.0 Transit engine with a dropped valve. He said I could keep whatever I could get for them. Haggled eight quid off the bloke for the lot. Not bad when you're seven. :-)

Cheers
DP
"Any old iron?" - L'escargot
........ when I should ave been at skool ........

Why does that not surprise me? ;-D

Edited by L'escargot on 24/07/2008 at 17:35

"Any old iron?" - Cliff Pope
>> ........ when I should ave been at skool ........
Why does that not surprise me? ;-D

"ave" is too posh. "of" is the colloquial useage.
"Any old iron?" - Dog
>>when I should ave been at skool >>>>
But I attended the School of Life big thyme ; )

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 25/07/2008 at 13:26