OMEGA 2.5 ECOTEC CAMBELT TENSIONER - SHARPER
P reg 2.5 ecotec omega had cambelt changed at 36000 miles but garage [non vauxhall] did not change tensioner assembly . Tensioner failed at 51k causing £1700 damage . Is there a known problem with the tensioner ? and should the garage have changed it at 36 k ? Worried to death that it will fail again !!
OMEGA 2.5 ECOTEC CAMBELT TENSIONER - Adam Going (Tune-Up)
Sharper,

This is a common and well-known failure, discussed many times here. Search the archive for "Ecotec and Cambelt" to read the history. As for "should they have changed it ?" - I am honestly not sure if it is actually stipulated as such by Vauxhall, but certainly my local dealer advises tensioner and rollers at every belt change, and even sells a complete ready-to-us kit.

Regards, Adam
OMEGA 2.5 ECOTEC CAMBELT TENSIONER - Dave N
I think a lot of garages have given up trying to explain to customers about changing tensioners as well. Most customer's eyes glaze over, and you can see them thinking 'he's trying to con a load more money out of me, as I'm sure I can run a car on buttons for the next 5 years, plus so-and-so garage down the road quoted me a lot less'. You get it with brake fluid changes, antifreeze changes, a/c services.
OMEGA 2.5 ECOTEC CAMBELT TENSIONER - robert
The tensioner/roller actually fails and takes the belt with it. You have learnt the hard way. Vx now suggest changing @ 40,000 miles. The kit of parts costs £130 + vat- of which the belt is only £20 or so. The labour cost is roughly the same.

Sorry about that.