2006 onward 1.5 Harsh Engine Noise - Zeiss
Hello all.

I have a Yaris 1.5L petrol which has done 68,000miles in 5 years.

Recently I have become aware of a medium-pitch growling whilst driving. The noise is louder with increased 'speed', and is louder if I am in too high a gear. If I am traveling at 70mph the noise is REALLY loud, but if I then depress the clutch and keep the engine revving at 3500rpm, the noise goes away!

If the car is free-wheeling in neutral there is no noise. If the car is coasting in gear the noise is still present. So I was thinking it is somewhere in the drivetrain and might be clutch-dependent. Oh who am I kidding, I don't know!

My fuel economy is as good now as when I got the car. Full Toyota service history. Nothing was seen on a recent dealer visual inspection performed alongside an MOT.

Any help for a newbie would be very much appreciated.

Cheers.

ZZ

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 20/07/2008 at 23:03

2006 onward 1.5 Harsh Engine Noise - Dynamic Dave
Found at the bottom end of discussion - free bump back up the pecking order, and moved across to Tech Matters.
2006 onward 1.5 Harsh Engine Noise - djjono83
Hello all. I have a Yaris 1.5L petrol which has done 68,000miles in 5 years. Recently I have become aware of a medium-pitch growling whilst driving. The noise is louder with increased 'speed', and is louder if I am in too high a gear. If I am traveling at 70mph the noise is REALLY loud, but if I then depress the clutch and keep the engine revving at 3500rpm, the noise goes away! If the car is free-wheeling in neutral there is no noise. If the car is coasting in gear the noise is still present. So I was thinking it is somewhere in the drivetrain and might be clutch-dependent. Oh who am I kidding, I don't know! My fuel economy is as good now as when I got the car. Full Toyota service history. Nothing was seen on a recent dealer visual inspection performed alongside an MOT. Any help for a newbie would be very much appreciated. Cheers. ZZ

Hi Mate, Noticed your response on this website, i seem to be having a very similiar problem, did you ever get it fixed? if you could let me know of what was wrong, its driving me crazy lol!

my email ad: jonathan_perry@mail.org

Many thanks