Child Seat for 1949 Bentley - GP
I'm after a child seat for my toddler that will fit my 1949 Bentley. All modern child seats seem to rely on a seat-belt for fixing, which of course my Bentley doesn't have. I'm prepared to install discreet harnesses/mountings to fix the seat, although I do not wish to install modern seat belts in the car. I don't use it a lot but it would be nice to go out as a family in it on occasions. I tried Britax but they weren't much help. Surely children were around long before seat belts! Any suggest would be gratefully appreciated.
Child Seat for 1949 Bentley - bogush
Most of our old seats and things have gone to charity shops, but I must confess I haven't noticed any of the old style ones in them lately.

Ask if they are still allowed to sell them before you spend too much time searching: there may be safety issues preventing them from selling untested second hand ones.
Child Seat for 1949 Bentley - M.M
GP,

No problem if you're prepared to do a little alteration to the car.

Many modern car seats for toddlers will fit in with either a normal three point belt or the two point lap type. I'm talking about the type here where the belt holds the seat and the seat then has its own straps for the toddler.

These child seats can be pulled very firmly into the angle of the squab/back with such an arrangement.

This just leaves you to work out a way of securely fitting a lap belt to the car, perhaps in the middle of the back seats, so you can tuck it away between the gap in the seats when you don't want it to be seen.

This is just the arrangement we've adopted for the middle front seat of our 1960s Land Rover. I had to get some seat belt brackets from a later LR and drill holes in the body to fix them to the chasis as per the new spec when they were made with belts.

David W
Child Seat for 1949 Bentley - GP
David,

Thanks - sounds a good solution. Any idea where I can get a lap-belt ? I guess a scrap yard is one place, but I'd rather a new one.

Regards,

Greg P.
Child Seat for 1949 Bentley - M.M
Greg,

No don't go to a scrap yard for such a safety critical item. Partco the Motor Factors (the one I use 99% of the time) have a promotion on this month for seat belts.

They are doing a two point lap belt for £12 plus VAT. Part no. SRN210

If anyone is interested a new inertia reel three point belt from them is £24 plus VAT.

David W
Child Seat for 1949 Bentley - Adam Going (Tune-Up)
GP,

Definitely only fit new belt(s) !

Regarding fixings, there has been quite a bit of discussion about belt fixings (but as I recall only for front seats) on the Mk.VI both in the Rolls-Royce Enthusiasts Club journal, and on their web site (www.rrec.co.uk). If you are not yet a member I really do recommend you join. If you already belong then search the archive on general discussions or the Mk.VI register section on the web site, or write to Philip Hall at The Hunt House, High Street, Paulerspury, Northants, NN12 7NA.

Good Luck, Adam