300 bhp, 410 Nm and FWD. Are they mad? - DP
Been reading some previews of the new Focus RS. Looks fantastic, but reading its gargantuan power and torque outputs, I was shocked to see its staying with front wheel drive.

I note it has a very trick Quaife torque biasing limited slip diff to help quell torque steer, but I wonder how successfully it can overcome the inherent problems of slinging 300 bhp (and 410 Nm) through the front wheels when far lesser powered front drivers have been near unmanageable in certain conditions?

Will it work? Anyone have any views (or bets) how this one is going to turn out?

Cheers
DP
300 bhp, 410 Nm and FWD. Are they mad? - Lud
Proof of the pudding DP... certainly looks (or sounds) tasty enough...
300 bhp, 410 Nm and FWD. Are they mad? - ifithelps
Ford have been producing high-powered front drive cars that handle brilliantly for years - if anyone can pull it off, they can.
300 bhp, 410 Nm and FWD. Are they mad? - Armitage Shanks {p}
I thought there was a rule of thumb that about 230 bhp was all you could put thru front wheels without awful torque steer and loss of traction etc. What have Ford managed to do to make this all neat and tidy? Is there a road test yet?
300 bhp, 410 Nm and FWD. Are they mad? - Ben 10
Yes I think Ford is mad. In the current climate.They are bringing this car to market when so many are giving up their STs by the skip load as highlighted on previous posts.
300 bhp, 410 Nm and FWD. Are they mad? - MikeTorque
It won't be the first time a marketing department has got it badly wrong !
300 bhp, 410 Nm and FWD. Are they mad? - Number_Cruncher
Here's a quick calc, with some fairly typical fwd car data.

I've assumed that at rest, there's 70% of the vehicle's weight acting on the front axle, and that the height of the c of g is 0.4m, and that the coefficient of friction between tyre and road is 0.7.

The nubers given in the answers below are the engine torques which will cause wheelspin in each gear.

I'm not saying that a Focus RS can spin its wheels in 4th gear, but, the data I've assumed aren't so far wrong, and it probably will be relying on traction control until you get into fourth!
M=1163; % Mass (kg)
g=9.81; % Acceleration due to gravity (ms^-2)
mu=0.7; % Estimate for co-efficient of friction between tyre & road
R1=0.7; % Estimate for static front axle proportion of vehicle load
L=2.61; % Wheelbase (m)
h=0.4; % Estimate for height of c of g (m)
% Calculates Rolling radius for a 175/70R14 tyre (m)
Rr=(14*25.4e-3/2)+((70/100)*175e-3);
g1=3.73; % First gear ratio
g2=2.14; % Second gear ratio
g3=1.41; % Third gear ratio
g4=1.12; % Fourth gear ratio
g5=0.89; % Fifth gear ratio
fd=3.74; % Final drive ratio
Te=(Rr/(g1*fd))*(R1*L*mu*M*g/(L+(h*mu)))

Te =

Te=(Rr/(g2*fd))*(R1*L*mu*M*g/(L+(h*mu)))

Te =

Te=(Rr/(g3*fd))*(R1*L*mu*M*g/(L+(h*mu)))

Te =

Te=(Rr/(g4*fd))*(R1*L*mu*M*g/(L+(h*mu)))

Te =

Te=(Rr/(g5*fd))*(R1*L*mu*M*g/(L+(h*mu)))

Te =

300 bhp, 410 Nm and FWD. Are they mad? - Lud
Hmmmmm... wheelspin at will in fourth.... drool....
300 bhp, 410 Nm and FWD. Are they mad? - peterb
Did anyone see Clarkson's old programme about Hot Hatches on Dave?

Ford has form for bringing out high performance cars just when the economy tanks....
300 bhp, 410 Nm and FWD. Are they mad? - L'escargot
Awesome. I just wish I could afford one.
300 bhp, 410 Nm and FWD. Are they mad? - Burnout2
I see no reason why it shouldn't work.

My 3 MPS puts 380 Nm through the front wheels with almost zero drama bar the odd flash of the DSC light, and Ford will employ many of the same solutions Mazda did; equal length driveshafts, LSD, power and torque restrictions in 1st and 2nd gear etc.

The old (and oft-quoted) power limit for front-drivers no longer applies IMO.