95 2.0 CDX Cannot open doors using Passenger Door - peter973
The car has central locking.

When I return to locked car after a period, I cannot open the doors using the Passenger Door Lock first.

Is this corrrect, is this a security feature ??

If doors have been opened first using Driver's Door, I can then lock/unlock doors using the Passenger Door.

But when I return to car after period/next day, I cannot open the doors first with Passenger Door, have to open using Driver's Door.
95 2.0 CDX Cannot open doors using Passenger Door - Dynamic Dave
In short, yes this is correct.

When you lock the doors via the drivers door lock, you enable the deadlock security system (ie, if anyone smashes the windows, or drops a piece of wire down between the glass and tries to lift the door pins, the doors will remain locked)

The only way to disengage the deadlocks is via the drivers door lock. In other words that's why you're unable to unlock the car via the passenger door if you last locked the car via the drivers door.
In short yes this is correct.

It's a bit of a pain, as when I do some shopping, I usually return to car, bags in hand & open passenger door to put bags in. Now I have to go open the driver's door.

Thing is you can open all doors using the boot lock.

Edited by peter973 on 13/07/2008 at 14:44

95 2.0 CDX Cannot open doors using Passenger Door - Dynamic Dave
If you want to open the passenger door, then the thing to do is not to turn the key from the vertical position to the horizontal position in the drivers door. Just turn it enough (approx 20 degrees) to lock the doors, then return the key to the vertical position. However I should point out that the deadlocks won't be set.

I am suprised that all the doors still unlock via the boot lock if the deadlocks have been set. This shouldn't happen, which *could* suggest something isn't right with the central locking system.
Brilliant, I think that's what's been happening.

Occasionally I must have been locking with the 20 degree turn on Driver's Door, leaving doors unlockable using the Passenger Door. I assumed there was a time delay, but know don't think that is the case.

Normally I must have been locking all doors with the deadlocks using Driver's Door, so could not open doors uisng Passenger Door.

Thanks.

95 2.0 CDX Cannot open doors using Passenger Door - Victorbox
Another feature you may not know about is if you leave any electric window, or if you have it, the electric sunroof open and get out of the car, if you hold the key in the 20 degree position in the drivers door lock (not deadlock position) & wait a few seconds, it will shut the window or sunroof for you - or it should do!
The other point is if you don't want it deadlocked just lock it from the boot or passenger door lock instead.
This is all new to me.
I had a 1988 1.0 Nissan Micra for last 10 years.

This Cavalier CDX has lots of extras to play with & the 2.0 engine has got a lot of ooomph !!

Lots of fun & not bad for £200.
If you are new to the joys of Cavalier ownership the here are three websites you might enjoy:

www.vodc.co.uk/index.php

www.cavmk3oc.com/forum/

tinyurl.com/5qdhz3

If your rear wheel arches are not crispy with rust yet, now is the time to get some wax rustproofer (Waxoyl or similar) worked into the seam between the inner & outer arch panels with a paintbrush and also coat the inside of the arch lip to fend off the Cavaliers worst failing.

95 2.0 CDX Cannot open doors using Passenger Door - kiss (keep it simple)
They're tough old cars, Cavaliers. My 2.0GL ran to 200k on its original clutch, engine was never touched apart from oil changes and cambelts and it did 43mpg. It just rusted away.
When you lock the doors via the drivers door lock you enable the deadlock security
system (ie if anyone smashes the windows or drops a piece of wire down between
the glass and tries to lift the door pins the doors will remain locked)

The deadlock system has been put to the test.

Some idiot tried to break into my car by jemmying out the top of driver's door, so it was 3 inches away from the body.

Probably pulled door pin to try to open driver's door.
Door stayed locked, they didn't get in.

Another car down road has also been done same way, door is open & thief has rifled through glovebox.

Edited by peter973 on 18/07/2009 at 16:56

Shame that this much door damage could mean the end of another Cav.
Shame that this much door damage could mean the end of another Cav.

>>
Yes, very annoying that a stupid failed breakin could cause such inconvenience, 2 inch gap at top of door, not good for rain & winter.

But I've sorted it out !!

I was trying to work out how to push top of door back.

Closed the door & pushed top of door as hard I could, door went back a bit, but still big gap. As you push door top back to body, it springs back.

As I was doing this van pulls up, he sees what I'm doing, comes over tells me he had same problem & will show me how to straighten.

So he opens door & on the inside puts his foot at bottom of window to brace door, then pulls along top of door, sharp little pulls.

Hey presto he gradually straightened door back after few goes.

You wouldn't know door top had been pulled out, only sign left is a crease in the metal of pillar at bottom front of window, where the pillar bent.

Edited by peter973 on 21/07/2009 at 00:34

Good result - it's bad enough watching people scrapping perfectly good MOT'd Cavaliers on the news under the wasteful scrappage scheme without some lowlife killing another one. Ebay is pretty good at coming up with genuine parts when you need them to keep it going.

Edited by Victorbox on 24/07/2009 at 18:21