Brake pad wear light: sensitivity - dave18
Front brake pad wear warning light has just come on in my 309. Definately pads because its a seperate light to brake fluid light.
How sensitive is it? The brakes are still 'sharp' and only squeal at very low speeds ie 10mph, in a car park etc. They do make a faint grating noise when applied hard.
Do I have a couple of weeks? 1000 miles?
Brake pad wear light: sensitivity - Simon
Probably, but if I was you I would at least check them sooner rather than later. The warning light is telling you that they are critical rather worn.
Brake pad wear light: sensitivity - M.M
Dave,

My Xantia went from first signs of a warning lamp flicker to metal-on-metal in about 150 miles.

I know I know I should have done them sooner but at least I risked my discs to give you an answer!

David W
Brake pad wear light: sensitivity - JohnD
Brake pad warning lights are noted for their unreliabilty. They quite often don't come on when they should, and because of frayed leads cause a short circuit, leading to the warning light giving false information. If the warning light is correctly telling you that the pads are worn, then you have a reasonable amount of time to renew them.
UPDATE - dave18
Maybe not so unreliable. Took the car to National today, brake pads and discs are 'shot' and the discs are 'badly scoured.'
National are charging £149 for pads and discs, 2 new tyres, rotation of tyres (backs on fronts) and wheel balancing. Pretty good price I think. I've found they're a lot better than Kwik *hit. :)
UPDATE - Toad, of Toad Hall.
the discs are 'badly scoured.'

They alwasy are when you don't do them yourself! ;-)

--
Parp, Parp!
Note: All Toad posts come with an implied smiley.
UPDATE - dave18
Probably, although National have seemed more honest than Kwik *hit when I've used them. My friend with a similar 309 is about to pay £350 for work KS suggested the car needed, when in reality it was probably pads and discs like mine. Is £90 for the pads and discs good?
wear light & cruise control - Ian (Cape Town)
On a previous car, the wear light and cruise control were somehow connected - when I hit a bump, the light flickered, and control disengaged.
Just thought I'd let you all know!
Brake pad wear light: sensitivity - BrianW
If disc brakes are making a grating noise then you've got metal to metal contact and the time to change them is NOW. (or preferably 500 miles ago!)
Brake pad wear light: sensitivity - Flat in Fifth
Just a thought, presumably as pad wear lights are not that accurate, service intervals of 20k or so will mean a new set of pads every time on the basis won't be sure they'll last until the next inspection. Is this really progress?

And how many will check just in case? Some don't even check the lights, fluid levels and tyre pressures!
Brake pad wear light: sensitivity - Toad, of Toad Hall.
And how many will check just in case?

The old cheese put a Pug in for service with the wear indicator light *on*.

Needless to say it returned from the service with light still burning away.

Stopped pretty well metal to metal - company cars do...
--
Parp, Parp!
Note: All Toad posts come with an implied smiley.
Brake pad wear light: sensitivity - M.M
FIF,

Spot on with this dilemma. You can easily judge pad renewal at a service when intervals are 6K. Try and guess if the customer will last with the pads through another 12/20K.....very difficult.

I offer the choice...waste loads of material on the existing pads or risk an extra visit for new pads when they go to the light/metal between services.

David W
Brake pad wear light: sensitivity - dave18
How long should they be 'bedded in' for? Was told 200 miles, don't want to do damage (I had 'cooked' the last ones.)