two clutches in 4,000 miles - I do NOT believe it! - DJ66
My company took delivery of a new Audi A4 1.8T on contract hire in late June last year. Seven weeks and 1,700 miles later the car was at my local dealer with "clutch problems". After several days I collected the car, to be told that the clutch and throttle had been replaced, all under warranty. The service technician informed me that the problem was due to a "manufacturing defect" and the use of "substandard quality materials". He said that this was very rare and a big surprise to him (and also to me!!). The car was fine and used mostly on motorway trips and had its first service last month, with 3,800 miles (not a typing error, yes, 3.800), at an Audi dealer, who reported no problems. Two days after the service, the clutch failed completely. The dealer has informed me that the clutch is worn completely, ?down to the metal? and that this could only be due to ?driver misuse?. Audi has declared that this is not a warranty item and the cost of the repair is £1,400.

I have driven manual cars for 20 years, averaging 15,000 miles a year and have never before had a problem with a clutch. I am not pleased, to put it mildly, and have left the car at the dealership while I take legal advice. My view is that the vehicle as supplied to my company by the contract hire company was and is clearly ?not fit for purpose?. It has had two major problems, which could have caused serious road accidents, in less than a year and less than 4,000 miles. I have lost all faith in the car and simply want the contract hire firm to take the car back, and to leave it to them and Audi to sort out. I am flabbergasted that Audi are suggesting this is my fault, and adamant that I will not just cough up for repairs and carry on as if nothing has happened. I would be keen to hear the Forum's view on both the car?s problems and what should be my next step?
two clutches in 4,000 miles - I do NOT believe it! - Saltrampen
From what you say the Clutch was less than a year old and had only done 2100 miles since new. First of all if Audi refuse to do this under warranty then get the parts (if removed) in case you need to have them inspected.
Scan the Audi UK owners site to see if any one else has had their clutch replaced after 1 year from new under warranty.
Unless you are towing, riding the clutch, or pulling away daily up a 1 in 5 hill into fast moving traffic etc, it is hard to see how this is your fault.
The fact that you had problems after 1700 miles then 2100 miles and in the first case they said "manufacturing defect" could mean that they only replaced the clutch plate and not solved the problem (clutch mechanism dragging?).
Basically sounds more like a fault of the car than the driver.
Hopefully someone else can give more info on whether you or the contract hire company need to pursue this.
two clutches in 4,000 miles - I do NOT believe it! - yorkiebar
Its quite easy to wear a clutch out in 30 mins, good driver or experienced driver not!

Not as simple as it sounds to prove otherwise.

Are you paying the bill? If not let whoever is, take action as needed?

If you need/want to contest it you will need to get the support of certified engineer to put in writing, exactly, what the problem is !
two clutches in 4,000 miles - I do NOT believe it! - craig-pd130
Hang on a sec -- they replace the clutch, it fails less than 2K miles later, and they say that the replacement has failed again?

Faulty workmanship in the repair. Get the lease company onto them, they have the financial clout.

Edited by craig-pd130 on 11/07/2008 at 14:15

two clutches in 4,000 miles - I do NOT believe it! - geoff1248
Surely it is up to them to prove that you abused the clutch not for you to prove you didn't. Wonder how they would react if you took them to the Small Claims Court?
two clutches in 4,000 miles - I do NOT believe it! - ifithelps
Assuming this Audi crate is not so different to a Morris Marina....

Surely the second clutch must have been installed/adjusted in such a way as to be permanently, but imperceptibly, slipping with no foot on the pedal.

That would explain why it has 'worn down to the metal' in such a short time.

A reasonable assumption, but one Audi/the dealer who did the work are unlikely to make because it will cost one of them £1,400.

Better to try to bluff the punter....