2003 1.4TDCI Whistling at 2800-3000RPM - Mightymac
Hi,

I recently had a ticking noise from the engine which on further inspection was shown to be the fuel injector seals. I had 2 of the 4 replaced (the other 2 were apparently ok and tightened down to save me money). This cost me £122 which I thought was quite reasonable due to the time it took to remove the old seals.

Since I have had it repaired, there still seems to be a ticking noise on start up, although some mornings I don't notice it. Also, since this repair, whenever I hit around 2800rpm to 3000rpm I have a whistling coming from the engine. I'm no expert on cars, but my guess is its the turbo. I don't seem to have any loss in power, but my concern is that prior to the fuel injector seal repair, I had never heard or experienced this before.
Is this something I should be concerned about? Are they related? If it is an issue, does anyone have any experience in this area and can give me a rough estimate to have it repaired.

Thanks for your help!

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 29/07/2008 at 00:55

53 1.4TDCI Whistling at 2800-3000RPM - mechanicmark
The blowing injector seals are a very common fault with the 1.4 tdci, and it is not uncommon to replace one and another starts. ford actually make dealers replace the hole injectors now and have issued a special tool to clean off the carbon residue.

as for your whistling noise, I would check the air intake pipe is located into the back of the airbox properly. just behind the fuel filter.
I have seen many techs replace injectors and stand scratching there head as to why there is a sudden whistle when revved. its just a push fit so you should be fine doing it yourself.

ford 1
53 1.4TDCI Whistling at 2800-3000RPM - Mightymac
Thank you for a very comprehensive answer. I really appreciate it.

Its in today getting them replaced as we speak. The turbo I will check when I pick it up.

Thanks again
ok, the injector seals - fordfiestaTDCi
does the 1.6 TDCI ford fiesta engine have the same injector seal problem as the 1.4 TDCi does, and is there a way I can get this problem fixed as a long term solution permanantly or will is always be a recurring night mare ever so often,