2001 525d Clutch pedal biting point is low - BeRudeNotTo
After 88000 miles, the clutch pedal only has to rise a couple of inches off the floor to reach biting point although the gearshift is still smooth. Am I right in thinking this is probably the hydraulics beginning to fail or is something adjustable? I can't find the clutch master/ slave anywhere inside the engine bay; it's not next to the brake master which is under the n/side pollen filter. Where the devil are they? And any idea how much I can expect an indie garage to charge me for fixing it?
2001 525d Clutch pedal biting point is low - thomp1983
when was the brake fluid last changed? the slave cylinder is likely near the gearbox.

chris
2001 525d Clutch pedal biting point is low - BeRudeNotTo
Hi Chris
Main dealer did a 2-yearly brake fluid change at last service in May. Their mechanics commented on the clutch pedal then.

I guess the change has been so gradual i cannot recall when the symptoms first appeared but i don't think i can pin this on BMW service.

You reckon the clutch and brake share the same fluid tank then? [BTW I meant to say this tank is under the OFFside pollen filter unit.]

cheers
2001 525d Clutch pedal biting point is low - thomp1983
alot of systems share the fluid yes. it could just be the clutch needs bleeding through. im not sure on the e39 but with the e34 the clutch pedal travel could be adjusted which gave different feel to the biting point.

chris