Ford Ranger/Garden Centre/Tow Bar - Dogbreath
I am stuggling with endless trips to the dump with tons of garden cuttings, bits of trees etc. Also Ikea's delivery service is a rip-off at £25 a go. I saw a Ford Ranger on the way to work today. Looks like a possibility. Does anyone have any views on these?

However I don't really want to change cars. So my questions are...

How much do tow bars cost to fix?

Does the tow bar add-to or reduce the second hand value of the car?

How much are small trailers?

How do you park [in Ikea] with a trailer?

Ford Ranger/Garden Centre/Tow Bar - Ian (Cape Town)
Does the tow bar add-to or reduce the second hand value
of the car?

Here, it generally reduces it - The question is "what has he been towing? was it a tiny trailer, or was it a great big boat?"

Ford Ranger/Garden Centre/Tow Bar - M.M
DB,

A towbar is damm useful and I have one on every vehicle of ours. I never mind a car having one from the extra wear and tear aspect but neither will I pay extra for a car with one fitted. The cost has to be worth it to you for the use you'll get never mind any value increase.

I accept Ian's view but be realistic, how much wear does a trailer/van really put on a car over it's life. The trailer/caravan is often only used for a fraction of the vehicles total mileage. Obviously the exception to this may be say a diesel estate that has been used with a "tow-a-van" type box trailer for business.

Remind me of your vehicle model/year and I'll give an approx idea of the towbar cost.

David W
Ford Ranger/Garden Centre/Tow Bar - Graham
It never ceases to amaze me that when people do by a trailer they buy one that is postage stamp size! Why not get one that is at least the width of the car!

Some of the prices are quite alarming. Why not buy an old Land Rover. There's a trailer with an engine for you!!! and a lot more fun.

P.S. David. After buying my first Landy just after New Year - I now have three!!!
Land Rover - M.M
Graham,

Funnily enough I've just MOT'd a LR90 today for a girl who keeps it as a second vehicle. She'd done very little with it over the past year but added it was handy for taking stuff to the tip.

As it's only covered 600 miles in the past year I think she should have a trailer. Cost per mile is looking a bit sick.

As to you.... don't rush it, there is plenty of time to own one of each type. Any way you're not a "proper" LR owner unless you have a spare one on blocks parked across the living room window.

You haven't have you??

David W
Land Rover - Graham
weelll......

I did pull the hedge out with the Lt wt a couple of weeks ago, just so I can park it on the lawn in front of the living room window. Does that count?

How much does she want for hers?
Land Rover - Alyn Beattie
David

Are you sure you only have one LR on blocks. Even a part timer like me has two :-)
Alyn Beattie
Thread Hi-Jacking! - Ian (Cape Town)
If it isn't Bogush jumping in, with his nonsense, it's these damned Fenland Landrover types....
Thread Hi-Jacking! - M.M
Ian,

These Land Rovers do have an odd effect. I popped into the supermarket for a 99p microwave meal (lunch) after MOT'ing it and was accosted by a chap in the car park who proceeded to tell me about every one he'd ever owned. Nearly had to run him over to get away!

As for Graham.....I was sort-of joking about the spare vehicle in front of the living room window.

And you've only had one since last spring. You're sure to need help with this condition before the year is out.

;-)

David W
Thread Hi-Jacking! - Graham
David: Funny you should say that about the supermarket.

I used the LT Wt to drive a supermarket one day. Well it is a mile and half and the landy is so economical.... Where I was accosted by a guy who wanted to sell me another.

As I have no drive way I immediately said no way. And that is how I got my second landy. =8-o

Series III truck cab and hard top, FWH's, overdrive, new seats in the rear. £250. Yummy.

My wife wants to buy some land now so that we can have a Landy sanctury for all the dying ones you find lying around!

I think Blunkett has reviewed the situation and is going to classify them as a Class C drug.
Thread Hi-Jacking! - Vansboy
DOH!!!
Land Rover owners
Morris 1000 owners
Beetle owners
MG owners
Were they all released into the community together!!?

Only joking (not)
Mark
Thread Hi-Jacking! - M.M
What do you mean "released into the community"? We are the community!

David W
Thread Hi-Jacking! - Vansboy
It just gets worse & worse!!
Mark
Thread Hi-Jacking! - bogush
What's wrong with hi-jacking a Landy towbar thread with a query about Xanty roof bars?

So do its roof bars bolt into holes behind the pairs of disks behind the rubber seals over the doors then DW?;-)
Thread Hi-Jacking! - M.M
Bogush,

No problem with thread hi-jacking but to make it easier for anyone else interested I\'ll start a new one in Technical.

David W
Thread Hi-Jacking! - Dogbreath
Thanks HJ - at last a sensible response. This site is great but why-o-why is it that there is always a few people who have to spoil it for the rest of us? {Joke!}
Hi-Jacking! - Graham
David W & others. I've been "working" from home today. Had the Light Weight out, top down, pub lunch. ahhhh Perfect.

Must finish the servicing though. I paid £3 for points, condenser AND rotor arm. It would be a shame to waste all that money!!!

Regards
LR use. - M.M
Graham,

Excellent. Our SWB is in its element at the moment. Three ton farm trailer on the back (H/D pin hitch). Leaving it in low all the time for field and track use, it's my no.2 tractor for haymaking!

David W
LR use. - Toad, of Toad Hall.
Excellent. Our SWB is in its element at the moment. Three
ton farm trailer on the back (H/D pin hitch). Leaving it
in low all the time for field and track use, it's
my no.2 tractor for haymaking!

So you're making hay while the sun shines?
--
Parp, Parp!
Note: All Toad posts come with an implied smiley.