02 2.0 Some info needed on the diesel engine...... - galwaytt
The 02 88k mile MPV we bought last September, has now been off the road for 4 months, in need of an engine.

I have tried left, right and centre, and cannot source a replacement engine. I have contacted several people, including Mazda themselves, and got conficting information on whether the crank can even be reground at all. Some recon people say no, Mazda say yes.....and so on (several).

But I need to cure it - I am 10k out of pocket so far, and at the moment, the car is (only) worth about 700. If I spend good money to repair it, at least I'll have a car, albeit a v expensive one - but I'd lose less by fixing it than..........well, tbh, throwing a match at it..........!!

Option 1: New short engine end from Mazda. Big $$
Option 2: New crank, shells, possibly rods, too..........into existing block. $$
Option 3: ??

Given that
Problem though........what if I put option 1 in, and there's the tiniest bit of swarf in another part from the b/end failure.......and I fubar engine no 2 (I'm thinking in particular of oil galleys in turbo.........) ?

Should I fit a new oil pump anyway, or can I check the existing one? (I mean, is this the actual cause of the problem in the first place..........or has that been determined as the actual issue by now??)

Oh - forgot - can anyone tell me weight, approx, of a complete 2.0 engine ? (I want to get a stand & crane).

Any and all help/suggestions/etc - including info on parts, or a donor engine - even a fubar'd one (to practice on....), would be greatly appreciated. - I mean, I have now had to go and buy a replacement car.........so am now making 2 x car payments ! - This was not part of the plan.

Oh - fwiw - I bought an 06 Saab 1.9TiD 150bhp Vector Estate............
02 2.0 Some info needed on the diesel engine...... - Robin the Technician
Sorry to hear the demise of your Mazda 6. This is a well known (and well documented on this forum) failure. If you are confident to do the repairs yourself then a crank regrind and shells should be the most economical. A good inspection of the conrods should confirm their condition. Usually they only need replacing if they are bent or broken. Even when the shells give up its rare to find it affects the conrods. If you're serious about this job then its imperative to fit an oil pump. Unless the crank is shot it shouldn't be too painfull on the wallet.

You could go the alternate route and put a request on www.247spares.co.uk/ and see how much a donor engine would cost.

Hope this helps
02 2.0 Some info needed on the diesel engine...... - drivewell
>> Oh - fwiw - I bought an 06 Saab 1.9TiD 150bhp Vector Estate............

Maybe want to make sure you change the water pump and timing belt by the due mileage, if not before it.
02 2.0 Some info needed on the diesel engine...... - reebok
My 2litre diesel 6 packed up a month or so ago

Got meself an engine from here

tinyurl.com/5vfcpz

I'm guessing this is my old one refurbed

If I've got the wrong end of the stick, I apologise

Edited by Pugugly on 23/07/2008 at 20:26

02 2.0 Some info needed on the diesel engine...... - Screwloose

For a firm that, allegedly, moved here from Osaka; you'd think they could spell Japanese...?

You couldn't buy the parts to re-con one of those for that price.
To be fair, my mechanic was of the same opinion

If thats my old engine, but as I say, I'm only chucking in some information
02 2.0 Some info needed on the diesel engine...... - Screwloose

There's a steady trade in selling second-hand units from Japan - I'd think that's what those are.
fair enough

All i know is that i swapped em my duff engine

The unit in there now seems fine, but then so did the one that died!!!

Any reason to think ill have the same problem return?

Its running fine but I've got it in the back of my mind its going to happen again, which aint anice feeling as its a 3k bill.........
02 2.0 Some info needed on the diesel engine...... - turbobob
I too am looking at an 02 Mazda 2litre turbo diesel engine which has suffered failure of either a crank or big-end bearing (yet to open it up) failure. Is your tuirbo OK? The one I am looking at, the turbo has allowed the oil to escape down the air intake and exhaust. I presume this was the root cause of the failure but perhaps the turbo died due to oil starvation ie perhaps it was a result of another cause......

As regards con-rods, If the bearing has spun in the con-rod then it may have removed material ie opened up the hole in the con rod slightly. I am not sure how critical this is. The Mitsubishi GTO owner's club thinks it is critical on their engines.

Have you identified which cars could provide a donor engine? Could an engine out of the Mazda 626 or the Mondeo TDCi be used? I haven't even maganed to find if the RF and the MZR engines are the same as one another. the engine number in the car I am looking at begins with RF.

I don't know if this helps you or not!
02 2.0 Some info needed on the diesel engine...... - TurboD
Funny, I am reading in Whic# that Mazda are the most reliable car on the planet, surely shum mistake, a new engine required before 250k miles? ( from a Ford owner)