Child car seats and airbags - Chad.R
I just wanted to clarify -

1. Whether it is OK to fit a forward facing child seat to the front seat where a passenger "front" airbag is fitted?
2. Again, the seat in the same configuration as above but where there are "front" and "side" airbags fitted?

In both cases the airbags can't be manually switched off.

Many thanks,

Chad.R

Child car seats and airbags - M.M
Chad,

I think the Highway Code only prohibits a rear facing child seat with an airbag. I would take advice from the vehicle handbook if possible.

David W
Thanks David,

Unfortunately, the problem I have is that the handbook doesn't provide any advice on this and I've had varying views from people that I've asked.

Chad.R
Child car seats and airbags - Flat in Fifth
"1. Whether it is OK to fit a forward facing child seat to the front seat where a passenger "front" airbag is fitted?

The advice seems to be yes it is allowed but advisable to move the seat as far away from the air bag as possible.

"2. Again, the seat in the same configuration as above but where there are "front" and "side" airbags fitted?"

Given the comment in the last part of the above answer, good question indeed. I would probably bottle it and put it in the back, but then what about side curtain bags?

RoSPA had some good advice as I recall

www.rospa.co.uk

the specific link is www.rospa.co.uk/pdfs/road/child_restraints.pdf

I cannot get this to work at the moment but it has been OK in the past.

Hope that helps.

Just found some info on klippan.co.uk makers of klippan and graco car seats -

"While it is recognised that it is dangerous to fit a rearward facing child seat like an infant carrier in such close proximity to an airbag, all child seats, including forward-facing seats, position the child further forward on the car seat," pointed out David Wright,Klippan managing director.
"In the absence of sufficient information on the use of forward facing child seats in car seats with airbags, we believe the cautious approach is the safest and recommend that NO child seat should be fitted on a car seat with an airbag," he stressed.

Seems to me that you have to make your own mind up, whether you think it's safe or not. We currently have "one upfront, one in the back". I think I'll convert that to "2 in the back" in future.

Chad.R
Child car seats and airbags - Ian (Cape Town)
Chad,
The old 2 in the back theory works best.
Yesterday SWMBO was in the back seat next to Richard's (10 days old) seat, while Iandra (26 mths) was transferred (in seatu) to the passenger seat.
Iandra decided to throw a wobbler when we were on the motorway back home(I had stopped her playing around with the electric windows), and (a) kicked the on-off switch off the radio, and (b) caught the "Sport" button on top of the gearshift with her heel, causing the car to take off like a scalded cat.
Spanking [1] followed, but she won't be riding in the front seat again.

[1] We can do that here. The PC mob haven't got this far!
Child car seats and airbags - Cyd
Doesn't matter whether you are a child or adult - if you are too close to a front airbag when it goes off it can kill you. This is why you MUST NOT put a REAR FACING child seat in the front - it puts the childs head too close to the airbag, there are several documented cases of decapitation.

What is too close? In the good ole US of A this is defined as 10 inches. As long as you can measure 10 inches or more from the airbag casing to your sternum you are in the safe zone. US airbags are more powerful and larger than Euro bags because of the low rates of seatbelt usage over there.

Statistically the safest position in the car is rear centre, followed by rear passenger side, followed by rear drivers side, followed by front passenger with the driver most likely to come off worst.

You should be quite safe to put a FORWARD FACING child seat in the front provided you can move the seat back to compensate for the fact that the child is further forward than an adult would be. Keep the child at least a foot away from the bag.

If you have side bags it would be worth checking with the manufacturer about which child seats are suitable for the car. Some side bags are mounted in the cantrail, others in the seat. A wide child seat may hinder the deployment of a seat mounted side bag.