04 1.6 EML has come on - shadyarea
I bought the car 2 weeks ago 60k came with 6 months MOT 1/1/2009 didnt fancy having a MOT so close to xmas so took it for a MOT yesterday passed with flying colours emissions was
CO @ 2669 0.09% pass
HC 00022 ppm pass
lambda 0.97/1.03 1.00 pass
natural idle test pass

0450/1500 0703 pass
CO 0.07 pass

Today the eml light came on took it back to garage i bought it off didnt tell them i had a MOT yesterday they plugged there scanner in didnt tell me a code just said it came up with bank 1 lambda.reset light and said if it comes on again they will replace with new one.Iv been reading other threads on this is a Catalytic converter system bank 1 the same or different,does it need a lambda or is cat the problem going by MOT all seems to be fine. Any thoughts?

Edited by Pugugly on 29/07/2008 at 20:30

04 1.6 eml - Screwloose

Sadly; you've only got a bank 1 - if you'd bought a V8, you'd have a bank 2 [of cylinders] to go with it....

Oxygen sensor codes have to be approached carefully. The ECU will log one [of several dozen] different codes to say that the O2 signal is not correct [or the heating is U/S] - it won't ever say that the sensor is duff. [Even if it is.]

An oxygen sensor [only the non-technical staff call them Lambda sensors] can be accurately relaying the fact that there is a mixture control problem - even a leak in the exhaust. It doesn't control the fuelling; it just reports the oxygen level in the exhaust.
04 1.6 eml - shadyarea
Update a week after this post the engine managment light came on again, took back to garage checked codes the same, lamda bank 1 sensor 2.Sensor was replaced next day and reset light.On sunday this week light came on again went in today,code came back lamda bank 1 sensor 1, They also say cause car has done around 60k it is normal for these sensors to fail is this right or is there a problem somewhere that is going to cost me mega money in the future?
04 1.6 eml - Screwloose

Might I direct you to my previous post about not shooting the messenger....

Bank 1; sensor 2 is the post-cat sensor that keeps an eye on the cat's efficiency.

Bank 1; sensor 1 is the pre-cat sensor that reports the oxygen level in the exhaust leaving the combustion chambers.

There are lots of different fault-codes that mention the signal from those two sensors; what were the exact code numbers?

04 1.6 eml - shadyarea
I asked for the fault codes but was told they use a snap on code reader that tells them what the code stands for not a number.Also said something about the sensor was working cause the closed loop circuit was ok.As the car is still under warrenty im not being charged for the diagnostics at moment but im getting the impression im being taken for a ride cause they replaced sensor 2 free of charge but this one they expect me to pay for but will fit for free which im having none of.Ford has quoted a £123 for sensor, all thats been done at moment is have light reset and if it comes on again they will check and then fit new sensor which im supposed to purchase.This is normal for modern cars im told.i had a mk3 mondeo 2ltr petrol previous to this car had done 126K when sold i put over 50k on that car and never had a sensor go down or light come on
04 1.6 eml - Screwloose

Snap-on software gives both the code and the definition. [It can do nothing about their inability to comprehend it....]

Paragraph

If it's going into closed loop; then the ECU is happy with the signal, or it's a sensor heating code.

Paragraph

Oxygen sensors have a variable lifespan; but usually last longer than this - and two failures at once is very unusual. Far more likely to be both the sensors reacting to something else.

[See how much easier it is to comprehend in paragraphs?]
04 1.6 eml - shadyarea
Point taken grammer was never my strong point.

Have you any ideas what the sensors could be reacting to?

I always buy supermarket fuel is it worth trying branded for a while?i have thought about it light comes on about every 500 miles
04 1.6 eml - Screwloose
I forgive grammar; I just have an aversion to solid blocks of text.

Guessing without facts is risky; there are a lot of different oxy sensor codes. Things like air leaks into the exhaust are the most likely of many.

I've never known supermarket petrol to flag oxy sensor codes.
04 1.6 eml - shadyarea
Thanks for the advice screwloose

One last question we are going to edinburgh for are holiday
in 3 weeks time which is going to be a 535 mile journey up
and same back, plus day tripping while up there.
Will it be ok to use if light comes back on or do i need
to get it sorted before we go.

04 1.6 eml - Screwloose

The answer to that question depends on what the exact fault is; otherwise it's "how long is a piece of string?"
04 1.6 eml - shadyarea
Thank you again

I will update if or when i get it sorted.I will try to take
heat sheild off manifold weekend to see if it cracked
and check exhaust system for leaks. If not i can see
me taking a trip to ford.