foreign number plate registry? - zookeeper
hi room, i had a bump in january on the motorway m1 , got side swiped by a german registered artic , i wrote to the company in march and have heard nothing, i then got in touch with MIB (motor insures bureau) with details of the accident but the police at the scene of the crash didnt take all the details i seem to need ....the MIB have written back asking for the
1. name and address of driver (he was latvian and was pleading the 5th )
2. the make, mod, colour of vehicle ( the police wrote schmitz on the accident report)
3. the constat amiable (what ever that is)

any advise would be welcomed, is there a regisry of foreign vehicles i can check, i have the artics tractor and trailor reg numbers...thats all ......thanks again, zoo
foreign number plate registry? - jc2
All European insurance companies are required to have representatives in the UKI'm sure someone else on here can supply details.
foreign number plate registry? - L'escargot
3. the constat amiable (what ever that is)

A "constat amiable d'accident" is an accident report sheet. See the "What happens if you have an accident" section in tinyurl.com/6omm9f for more information. Some of it may not be relevant because of the French connection.

Edited by L'escargot on 02/07/2008 at 08:21

foreign number plate registry? - mike hannon
People can be unbelievably thick, can't they? Or is it just lazy?
Schmitz is, obviously, the name of the trailer manufacturer, and it is usually stamped out of sheet metal across the rear apron. Couldn't the officer be bothered to walk around the front to see what and who was towing it?
I thought the constat amiable only applied in France, hence the name. You are supposed to carry a blank form in the vehicle.
It has always seemed a bit unlikely to me that people will agree at the scene precisely how an accident happened and who was to blame, then sign a document accepting what the other party says.
Good luck with your quest, Zookeeper.
foreign number plate registry? - Collos25
It has always seemed a bit unlikely to me that people will agree at the scene precisely how an accident happened and who was to blame, then sign a document accepting what the other party says.

Thats what happens in Germany except its the police who make the decision they must attend every accident no matter how small they then make a report varying from 0-100% to 50/50% and thats how the insurance pays out.
foreign number plate registry? - mike hannon
Sounds like an ideal situation. The German Police force must be well-staffed...
thanks for the replies everyone, much appreciated..... for any one who fancies a challenge i have the reg number for the vehicle concerned CR2518 (tractor) and K5R5463 (trailer) its german registered,i hope that doesnt sound a bit cheeky asking? what really gets my goat is the fact that they can ignore any correspondence and in effect get away without paying out for what by a miracle was very nearly a double fatality (me and swmbo) the only advise i had from my insurers was " ring citizens advise bureau" my blood still boils when i think about it or when i have to walk past the car on the driveway....thanks again, zoo
foreign number plate registry? - davwood
I dont think that the registration numbers are german. Have a look here for some info

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vehicle_registration_plates_...n
maybe im getting mixed up.. the driver is latvian but the company is german registered, and judging by the link it looks like latvian plates, more investigation needed, thanks davwood