insurance quote..baffled but happy - barney100
I changed my car today which I hadn't intended to and went from group 14 insurance to group 20. I was expecting a rather large hike in costs but with protection am going to pay £250....about £100 less than I paid for the group 14. I can't believe my luck....
insurance quote..baffled but happy - Bill Payer
My daughter added business use to her SD&P policy mid year and her premium went down too - the insurer sent her a refund.
insurance quote..baffled but happy - Whisky
Its crackers, I recently got married, insurance quote went up £100!! Eh? after a bit of trail and error I added the wife (who can't drive) on a provisional and it went down £120???? EH????

Looks like she will get to learn to drive sooner then later :-)

Yeah pub!!!
insurance quote..baffled but happy - Rustyw
I have had a not dissimilar experience. Clean licence, no accidents, >9 years NCB. Changed my car in month 10 of my insurance, going from Group 10 to Group 14. When the time came for renewal my original insurer wanted over £100 more but a few minutes on the internet found a reputable company happy with £100 less than I paid last year. However, the point of the story is that I did not get a proper renewal notice. The broker I used last year simply sent me a letter giving a figure for the current year and asking me to contact them. They were unable to match the best quote but I am now having a heck of a job getting a proof of no claims from them. Any advice?
insurance quote..baffled but happy - crunch_time
Just make sure you haven't accidentally chosen a £1,000 excess!

insurance quote..baffled but happy - L'escargot
Compare the terms and conditions of the two policies.
insurance quote..baffled but happy - maz64
insurance to group 20. I was expecting a rather large hike in costs but with
protection am going to pay £250

Er, is that per month? Please tell me it is - I'm paying about that (per year) on a mk1 Focus Estate, with full no claims discount, I'm over 40, and that's about the cheapest according to the comparison sites.
insurance quote..baffled but happy - Cliff Pope
I've just switched my second car insurance after years on a classic policy when the renewal premium jumped by £100. Priviledge gave me a full NCD (even though I didn't have one on the classic policy) and a 10 % discount for a second car. Now paying the same as the classic policy used to cost, but with full NCD and unlimited mileage.

It's mad, but you have to play the system. Customer loyalty counts for absolutely nothing now.
insurance quote..baffled but happy - daveyjp
The whole insurance thing is a complete mystery.

I've just renewed mine.

3 comparison sites - all intimated my current insurer wouldn't quote for my circumstances (been with them at least 4 years!)

Current insurer renewal notice - £419
Current insurer via website as a a new quotation - £374
Current insurer via Quidco site - £341 and £45 cashback - so £296

Details the same for every quote.
insurance quote..baffled but happy - Mapmaker
>>is a complete mystery

Much of it is a marketing activity. Like all premium price products (think expensive watches, sportswear etc.) you have to pay for the advertising.

insurance quote..baffled but happy - Cliff Pope
>>
Much of it is a marketing activity. Like all premium price products (think expensive watches
sportswear etc.) you have to pay for the advertising.

So why has it got cheaper?
insurance quote..baffled but happy - mike hannon
Come on then Barney, tell us what tempted you in group 20!
insurance quote..baffled but happy - Round The Bend
From his post elsewhere we know that it's a cabriolet but which one??
insurance quote..baffled but happy - jc2
A number of these comparison sites refuse a quote for companies I'm already insured with.
Hi Mike,
Was out with swmbo and had vowed to hang on to my old C class diesel far as long as it went. Low and behold we went past this independent Merc dealers who had a convertible CLK 320. Have a look said she and that was it, had a test drive and after a lifetime time of hard work 'just get it' says she! See the other post about the insurance luck!
Sorry but it's a year and I have a £600 excess, but I'll risk that!
insurance quote..baffled but happy - maz64
Sorry but it's a year and I have a £600 excess but I'll risk that!

Well I'm still surprised it's that (relatively) cheap. I'll bear it in mind when it's time to replace the current Focus Estate - do you think Ford will do an ST version? :-)
insurance quote..baffled but happy - mike hannon
Yeah - glad you went for it. They say you never regret your extravagances, only your economies!
I certainly didn't regret my 280 coupe...