98 1.25 Transponder key failure? - Rich320d
Hi,

I've had this 1.25 Zetec for 6 months now. It only came with one Ford Transponder key, so I got another cut at a local locksmiths, for around 30 quid.

The replacement is a 'Silca' brand key and has worked fine for 5 months, but lately its been failing to turn the immobiliser off, it can take 2 or 3 key insertions to get the car to start.

Yesterday it wouldn't work at all, after trying for 10 minutes, I went and fetched the Ford original key and the car started first time.

Can these keys lose the transponder code? Is it a known problem? I'm planning to return the key to the locksmiths for reprogramming or replacement, if they will do it. If not would it be better to get an original Ford spare key?
98 1.25 Transponder key failure? - Rich320d
Went back to the locksmiths shop. Turns out there is a small battery in this 'Silca' brand of replacement key, not just a transponder like the original Ford Keys.

The locksmith reckoned the battery had gone flat, changed it for free and its worked fine since, he said the key might have been in stock for a while hence the flat battery.