Punto Panda 500 Doblo GP 1.3 Multijet belt check? - oilrag
This could be worth a check on all Fiat 1.3 multijet engines as deployed in the different models.
I found the auxiliary poly V belt was quite badly cracked on the drive surface at 2.5 yrs and 20,000 miles. (2005 Mk2b Punto Van)
Allegedly this belt is supposed to last the life of the engine so I was quite surprised, but its easy to replace.

At first glance the belt may look fine but
I found the best way to check the belts inner surface for cracks was to run my fingers over the surface of the belt as it folds back over the tensioner pully.
Then I drew a belt run diagram and put a socket wrench on the tensioner nut. Pulling back towards me on the wrench took the tension out and the belt just slips off. Same with the replacement. (non aircon, my model)

At only around £12 (OE) and taking less than two minutes to do, I thought it not worth arguing the point over whether the old belt was fit for further service.

Anyone else with a 1.3 Multijet and low mileage belt cracking?

oilrag

Edited by oilrag on 29/06/2008 at 07:53

video on poly v belts for info in general. Just to note though, the torque on the auto adjuster seems much lower than on these big American engines!

Belt wear video

tinyurl.com/62qmbp

More about Poly V Belts in general

tinyurl.com/6lpsln

To broaden the topic, what are your experiences with Poly V belts? On our other cars I never saw cracking at mileages up to 70,000 miles, when typically changed along with the cambelt.

The other Punto, the 1.9D has a like new looking belt at 6 years and 50,000 miles

Punto Panda 500 Doblo GP 1.3 Multijet belt check? - gordonbennet
Quite low mileage OR for the belt to be cracking up.

I've not seen that until say 60+K miles normally.
I didn't like the poly V belts when i first saw them, but TBF they do last far longer than normal fan belts, which considering the run of some of them including bending over backwards on every revolution says a lot for their integrity.

I find them quite good for keeping an eye on, as that back flip they perform shows any cracking on the V's clearly.

When they made cambelt covers that were easier to get off it was a similarly easy job to have a look for deterioration in the teeth.

I've personally never had a poly V belt snap.

The short life of your present belt could be attributed to dry running often present in a dearth of wax-hoyle..:)
"dearth of wax-hoyle..:) "

I knew you would say that!!

It was my first experience of an automatic tensioner too, much easier than in the `good old days` when I seem to remember levering alternators back with all sorts of things to get the tension. ;)