Folding door mirrors motor question ? - Petel
Can anyone please advise, re door mirrors found on some up-market models, where the mirror motors to a folded position when the ignition is switched off and out again when the ignition is switched back on.

Is the motor driving the mirror in the door or built into the mirror assy?
Thank you.

Edited by Pugugly on 29/06/2008 at 11:25

00 1.6 Folding door mirrors ? - elekie&a/c doctor
The electric motor and reduction gearbox are part of the mirror frame/body,so yes it is built into the mirror.hth
00 1.6 Folding door mirrors ? - El Hacko
on the same topic, Elekie, any idea, pse, how easy/expensive wld it be to convert a 2005 A3 to electric folding mirrors?

thanks
00 1.6 Folding door mirrors ? - elekie&a/c doctor
Not easy and very expensive.Not an economic proposition,in my opinion.hth
00 1.6 Folding door mirrors ? - Bill Payer
Few of them work on ignition on/off - most have a button that needs to pressed.

I have them on my Merc and they drive me bonkers! Apparently the idea is that they can be folded to get through a tight garage opening, but it really would have to be tight for folding in the mirrors to make much difference.

In everyday use, you really want to fold them when the car is parked kerbside, but if you press the button and fold them, you can't see traffic approaching from behind so it's hazardous opening the door! Once you're out of the car, you can't push them in manually.

MB has flip flopped on auto folding over the years - they took it off E Class for a while as owners complained it was noisy! , although another school of thought is that they were never designed for constant use and the wiring was breaking. They have to be lubricated quite frequently (with silicon spray) or they stick.
00 1.6 Folding door mirrors ? - Petel
Thanks for the replies.

Seems to me that the BMW type mirrors do not fold, rather they rotate upwards, which is not what I had in mind. Re- lubrication and wiring failures, I would not be at all surprised if this was the case.

As to converting to folding mirrors, take a Google on " BMW & folding mirrors" There are several, mainly US forums, discussing just this.

Thanks again.
00 1.6 Folding door mirrors ? - El Hacko
right, see what you mean - pity. It's the only feature I miss abt the Lexus