Newbie with money to burn - Covenant
Hello all
My first post here, but one probably you've seen many times before.
I'm after a new car and I have a shortlist of a Ford/Vauxhall/Skoda/Mazda/Renault - you get the picture!.
I've trawled the local garages, and I'm now fed up to my remaining back teeth and just want to get a vehicle sorted.
Looking at an '07 1.6 petrol C-Max with 11000 on the clock for £8995 and a '54 Nissan Almera Tino with just 16000 genuine miles for £5400.
Does anybody have any thoughts as to which may be the better buy?
One thing of course that the C-Max does have to it's advantage, is at least 12 months of Ford warranty.
I did look at a £11000 Golf Plus but the dealer only offered to knock the price down by £300 for cash
Regards

Covenant
Newbie with money to burn - I'm a Pane
Hi Covenant-welcome to the BR!
Does the Tino do everything you want it to do in terms of space/practicality etc? I guess you have a young family hence the MPV slant to your choices? If the Tino is an 1.8 then look seriously at it - they are very underrated cars. I wouldn't worry about the Ford warranty-the Tino should/could have 12 months from warranty direct or such which would be just as good. Indeed if you read through various threads on here its probably more likely you'll need to use the warranty on the C-Max than the Tino!
Really boils down to whether you want/need to spend £9-11K when £5k will get you everything you need and £4k in the bank for a rainy/credit crunchy day!!
Good luck
Newbie with money to burn - freakybacon
What about a citroen berlingo multispace/peugeot partner? Very popular on this forum. Also consider kia carens, mitsubishi spacestar,mazda premacy, hyundai matrix, daewoo/chevrolet tacuma(avoiding the 2.0cdx- its in the bad boy tax bracket)

Really brave? Loads of citroen picassos to choose from- so be very picky.
Really really brave? Renault scenic, fiat multipla.

Left field choice? What about a Chevrolet Lacetti estate 1.6sx? Cheap as chips, and look good value to me used.
Newbie with money to burn - Falkirk Bairn
Hello all

>>>> Looking at an '07 1.6 petrol C-Max with 11000 on the clock for £8995 and
a '54 Nissan Almera Tino with just 16000 genuine miles for £5400.
Does anybody have any thoughts as to which may be the better buy?

Motorpoint '07 Tino only 2,500mls

tinyurl.com/5aj7g3

Edited by Pugugly on 28/06/2008 at 14:32

Thanks for the welcome and the replies, and the link
Just to show you how bad things were getting I almost went to look at a Daihatsu Materia last week, but luckily came to my senses.
I'm probably leaning towards the Tino, then I can put the money saved towards a Classic.

Covenant
The Daihatsu Materia is an unusual looking car, but really needs a better choice of engines rather than the "1.5- take it or leave it" option- really needs a diesel option to make sense in the m.p.v. market. Some used ones filtering onto the market @ around £8k, with the right options would make sense.
Agreed, although various scribes quite liked the engine. I did look a the Materia when they first came out and my impression was the back windows were quite small and with being blacked out as well made the car quite claustraphobic for rear passengers.

Yes it is an unusual shape but then, I always fancied a PT Cruiser........
PT cruiser is not out a bad bet in limited spec. with the diesel engine.
Agreed about the diesel. The only ones I see advertised around though are the petrol. and at 20mpg I think I'll have to pass.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 02/07/2008 at 01:06

Newbie with money to burn - Rodger
I agree it is difficult to find the right car. If sales people were any good they would help customers do this but most are useless.
Anyway the Tino i found the seat/ driving position very uncomfortable.
Why are you looking at small people carriers? What do you NEED the car to do, how much mileage do you do, do want a status symbol, how long will you keep it, what is important, vital, nice to have. How close to home do you want the dealer to be?
All this and more needs to be thought about before you step out the door. Remember every time you change a car someone makes a profit out of you so mistakes are very expensive.
A Ford Focus would satisfy 90% of driving NEEDS if people were really honest about matters but just look at the choice we have and very few cars are BAD. The industry does a fantastic job of turning out great product at a reasonable price. In fact when some of the big boys finally crash the consumer may end up much worse off! These could be the good times!!