02 1.8 16v petrol problems after new manifold etc. - mondeomanwestmids
Hi All
I have got a 2002 Mondeo Zetec. 103000 miles. FSH. Parts of my air intake manifold were sucked into my engine. I've had it repaired which included a new piston, new valves in the one chamber, head skimmed, head gasket plus bolts and 4 new spark plugs. This was not a cheap repair and since having the car back it has an annoying pinking when accelerating, also when coming to a stop the rev counter is fluctuating, sometimes when turning the car cuts out. I've had an engine management diagnostic and no fault codes were shown. Also a smoke test on the new manifold showed no leak. Has anyone experienced this problem or can anyone offer any suggestions as i'm at a loss and don't know what to try next. Anyone with this engine of about the same age might want to change the air intake manifold.

Moved over from Discussion - can you confirm engine details ??

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 28/06/2008 at 00:47

Engine Trouble - mondeomanwestmids
forgot to say. Engine is 1.8 petrol. 16 valve.
Engine Trouble - Screwloose

Never easy to say when an engine has been apart. Any chance that two sensor plugs have been transposed?

The inlet manifold runners failing is indeed a common problem on those Zetecs. First time that I've heard of it needing a piston though.
Engine Trouble - mondeomanwestmids
Thanks for the reply.

Would this not have shown on the diagnostic check?

Which 2 sensors would you suggest have been transposed?

From what the garage told me had the engine just digested the flap it wouldn't have been a problem but it took the holding bar as well. This is apparently the reason for the piston also needing replacement and was lucky it hadn't damaged the bore.