1996 2.0 Steering column Play - car junky
My 1996 SAAB 900SE has just failed MOT due to up and down 'play' on Steering column. I am reluctant to ask garage to investigate further as cost of repair will be more than car value, especially if they have to remove airbag.

Does anyone know what this could be?

{Note it is not the steering wheel adjustment lock.}
1996 2.0 Steering column Play - Dynamic Dave
especially if they have to remove airbag.

Provided they disconnect the car battery and allow the airbag capacitors time to discharge (30' ish mins) it's hardly any extra effort to remove the wheel than it is without one fitted.
1996 2.0 Steering column Play - adverse camber
I have a vague memory that these suffered from failing bulkheads and that might result in the problem described.

a quick look around and I get : tinyurl.com/5k37be (saabscene)

scroll down past all the google ads to see the thread

Edited by adverse camber on 25/06/2008 at 18:54

1996 2.0 Steering column Play - Victorbox
The cracks / splits will be seen in the engine bay around where the steering rack bolts onto the bulkhead.
1996 2.0 Steering column Play - Group B
Hopefully it is not bulkhead cracking (pray that it is not!). Could just be a bolt/ locking ring that has come loose on the column.

A couple of threads here about play in steering column:
www.saabscene.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=316214...5
www.saabscene.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=315848...3

I think the initial symptoms of bulkhead cracking are supposed to be - creaking from the front end (not to be confused with front ARB bushes creaking in cold weather), and excessive side to side play in the steering. Does yours have these symptoms also?

The bushes where the steering rack mounts to the bulkhead deteriorate with age too so a little bit of side/side play can just be the bushes flexing (visible under bonnet but not enough to feel through steering wheel).

Good luck with it..
1996 2.0 Steering column Play - Victorbox
Some good photos of the SAAB bulkhead cracking problem here tinyurl.com/4xaxd7