The end of the "producer"? - Mapmaker
As I have just renewed my tax disc online, without requiring insurance cert. or MOT cert., has the "producer" reached the end of its life?
The end of the "producer"? - commerdriver
Only when the data in the computers is 100% reliable
Even then the information on who is covered on the insurance for a car is not as easily accessible at least at the moment
The end of the "producer"? - midlifecrisis
I gave two out the other night. Used when no insurance showing, but I have enough doubt about the accuracy of the info.
The end of the "producer"? - martint123
If the driver has no ID then the boys in blue would have a choice of taking a chance of issuing a producer or taking to nick to check further. Until the handheld fingerprint reader plus ID database and/or compulsory ID card comes in.
The end of the "producer"? - welshlad
im all in favor of proactive policing to reduce paperwork for the police i suggest tazing, say a 3 sec burst for every document they dont have in their possession
The end of the "producer"? - Armitage Shanks {p}
SFAIK nobody is required to carry any documentation of any sort at any time, within the UK. Long may it be so or we shall be on the slippery slope to unwanted, expensive ID cards based on an inaccurate database and easily forged too, I should think
The end of the "producer"? - Lud
And ghastly young men in uniform rudely demanding one's papers. No thanks.
The end of the "producer"? - welshlad
its one of those legal catch 22's, none of your driving documents (apart from the MOT) are strictly speaking legal documents in the fullest sense of the term because driving without them in your possesion isnt against the law as such because the police have the option of giving you a producer, but the law says you have to produce them when instructed to be a police officer, and this would suggest you should be carrying them at all times. also they are not even ID documents but they are still accepted as such by banks, police, etc etc its really a grey area of the law open to various interpretations
The end of the "producer"? - Waino
I always carry a photocopy of my insurance in the car just in case my insurance company has not sent my details to the DVLA, or wherever thay are supposed to go, and I get picked up on ANPR. I don't want to walk home, thank you!
The end of the "producer"? - Optimist
none of your driving documents (apart from the MOT) are strictly speaking legal documents in the fullest sense of the term because driving without them in your possesion isnt against the law as such because the police have the option of giving you a producer, >>

Are you saying you have to have your MOT with you in the car, welshlad?