1996 1.6 ignition light coming on - winstan
Help needed please!! Have had Air flow sensor replaced (177)+light still coming on+car still shuddering in 4th gear.
2 independent garages have put it on meter and both said that it is faulty Air flow sensor and that is causing the problems.
However, took car back to first garage who replaced the thing and they have said it is idle control valve that needs replacing (£140) as this is causing problems.
I have had it cleaned first, including throttlebody, and problem persists.
What can/should i do next? Car is driving me mad and not safe to drive.
1996 1.6 ignition light coming on - John S
The idle speed control valve only causes problems with idle. It's a small bypass of the throttle butterfly which is controlled by the ECU to keep the idle speed stable. If it's blocked then the car will tend to stall and/or idle too fast. That's all. AFIK it doesn't trigger the ECU warning light or bring up a fault code. It has no impact whatever on normal running. It's not the problem.

JS

Edited by John S on 19/06/2008 at 23:36

The garage tell me that it is now the idle control valve that needs replacing and causing engine to rev/idle in 4th etc. They said that they are trying to get me a second hand one from a scrappers to keep cost down.
Also said that they have replaced a wire in/near air flow sensor(that had blown) that was causing a fault to persist. Wondering has this not been fixed properly? confused? just want car working again. thanks for advice. what next pls?
1996 1.6 ignition light coming on - John S
I can only confirm what I said above that I simply don't believe (including having had a ISCV fail on a Vectra) that the ISCV has any effect once the throttle is open. Given how common this failure is on Vauxhalls I'd steer clear of a second hand ISCV, too.

JS
1996 1.6 ignition light coming on - Screwloose
winstan

JS is right; the ISCV isn't your problem - your garage is your problem.
i know!!! thank goodness for this website!! it has helped me so much in learning about car matters-just dropped car off at a reputable garage-took one look under bonnet and saw bare wires and black electrical tape fastened/connecting wires to AFSensor? They are going to undo all mess and start again, probably cost me a bomb (more than car is worth) but ar least it will be fixed!
winstan

Are you sue this is a 1.6? When I hear of tape near Vectra MAFs; then I think of X18XE1 engine codes. That system alone has a known fault with it's engine-mounted ECU that flags false MAF and intake air temp sensor codes. [There is a bodge.]

Non-genuine MAFs can cause a few scratched heads too.
1996 1.6 ignition light coming on - topbloke
we are still missing the fundermentals here, year, make, model, engine code etc how we are supposed to help with the barest of facts is beyond me, please post the details and i will try to help but sounds like the garage is on the right track
1996 1.6 ignition light coming on - Dynamic Dave
TB,

some of that info you request is within the subject line. Vauxhall Vectra B - 1996 1.6. The only thing that has been omited is the engine code.
1996 1.6 ignition light coming on - topbloke
which is the crucial bit
1996 1.6 ignition light coming on - jbif
Note that "winstan" posted some information earlier tagged to this thread.

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?v=e&t=59...3

".. engine type X18XE 1799cc on reg form vectra arctic 16v 1998. ... "

yes above codes are correct.
Picked car up from said highly recommended garage Saturday-wiring been redone-it was a mess apparently-also clips been placed from sensor to unit-mechanic noticed it wasnt connected enough+this connection was causing probs.
Garage gave it a test drive-drove great-has done all weekend up until now-light has flashed on and off on way home from work 3 consecutive times?
highly recommended garage rewired wires coming out of AFS+put a plastic clip around it to hold it together better-noted it wasnt a good connection but worked better when held firmly together?

Problem seem to be solved since Saturday-when on way home from work today-ignition light came on 3 consecutive, brief times?

Another trip to the garage needed? Car seems to be running ok?
Have just read someone elses who had same problem-will have to take it back to garage-sometimes it drives well-others-it shudders, idles etc- maybe field remedy 2033 will help!!

That fix only applies to the 1800 X18XE1 engine.
Thanks for reply Screwloose-i feel that i have a few missing as well due to last few weeks of car moider!!!

News update-at last car sounds like purring cat-runs like a cheetah!!
Why?Highly recommended garage number 2 fitted a working MAS.

Root of all evil was a FAULTY MAS fitted by ropey garage number 1-finally did get my money back off them tho!!